2006 CRD improve MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Marco Giacomelli is the creator of the Yeti tunes, and he is from Italy. Because he does not reside in the U.S., he out of reach of the influence of the Environmental Protection Agency Overloards, (for now, at least). Many CRD owners have his tunes and are happy with them. Here is is link on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011557657029

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when doing a websearch for how to save fuel with a 2.8 CRD...I have a UK 2005 spec 2.8 CRD Sport with the Mercedes NSG370 6 speed manual box. Diesel is expensive here in the UK (cheapest near me is £1.15 per litre...It costs about £80 ($100) to fill her up! So I am always looking at ways to save fuel. I have done a couple of mods...I use Alfamotors DK365 road tyres that have an excellent Euro B rating for both economy and wet grip, as well as having a long wear life. These are fitted to ZJ 5.9 Limited edition Ultrastar alloys, that weigh 1kg less each than the stock wheels that came with my KJ. They also increase the track by 3 inches without having to use spacers. Another mod I have done is to swap the heavy steel "paddlewheel" viscous fan for a lighter 11 blade Plastic version from the 3.7 V6 as I heard it can save fuel...I only fitted it yesterday so it's too early to tell if it actually saves me any fuel, but I will know in a few days. It is certainly a lot quieter than before. The metal fan weighs 3.4kg and the plastic one weighs 2.8kg, so that is 600g less weight on the fan idler pully. The 9 blade plastic fan from the KK would be even lighter, but I couldn't afford that one (it was £70 used vs £25).

One f the best ways to reduce fuel consumption is the run the engine at a higher operating temperature. The 176 degree Fahrenheit O.E. thermostat we here in North America get is terrible. The 195 degree thermostat you get in the U.K. is better, but not ideal. My product allows you to run your engine as hot as 203 degrees, and has the added advantage of being serviceable. It has a removable cap that allows you to replace the thermostat valve inside. It is inexpensive and easy to perform a thermostat valve change out with a Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly.

Kawika

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when doing a websearch for how to save fuel with a 2.8 CRD...I have a UK 2005 spec 2.8 CRD Sport with the Mercedes NSG370 6 speed manual box. Diesel is expensive here in the UK (cheapest near me is £1.15 per litre...It costs about £80 ($100) to fill her up! So I am always looking at ways to save fuel. I have done a couple of mods...I use Alfamotors DK365 road tyres that have an excellent Euro B rating for both economy and wet grip, as well as having a long wear life. These are fitted to ZJ 5.9 Limited edition Ultrastar alloys, that weigh 1kg less each than the stock wheels that came with my KJ. They also increase the track by 3 inches without having to use spacers. Another mod I have done is to swap the heavy steel "paddlewheel" viscous fan for a lighter 11 blade Plastic version from the 3.7 V6 as I heard it can save fuel...I only fitted it yesterday so it's too early to tell if it actually saves me any fuel, but I will know in a few days. It is certainly a lot quieter than before. The metal fan weighs 3.4kg and the plastic one weighs 2.8kg, so that is 600g less weight on the fan idler pully. The 9 blade plastic fan from the KK would be even lighter, but I couldn't afford that one (it was £70 used vs £25).

Kawika

Reaction score
Don't know if you still are looking for way to increase MPG, but here in the states i just cut out the muffler and gained 4 MPG and a deeper exhaust note.
Actually sounds much better.
Turbos act like muffler anyway and the turbo spins up faster.

Latest posts

Members online