2005 Seat Belt Ding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody perhaps know how to disable the seat belt ding on a 2005 liberty? I heard it has to do with clicking the seatbelt 3 times and turning the key but have not had any luck.

I know, I should wear the seatbelt in which I do. It just goes off seconds after pulling out the driveway and is really annoying.

Thanks in advance!

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed extensively--just do a search of it. However, most of the advice seems to be snide remarks about just buckling it behind you or wearing it ALL the time, because we all know we are going to be blindsided by another vehicle in our driveway. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be rude, but the help for this problem is non-existent. Instead of helping with the problem and trusting another person with personal responsibility and individual rights, it seems like it's all about supporting the nanny state. Yes the ding is annoying, especially when I'm sitting waiting for the mail, but not nearly as annoying as being told through a chime that I'm not being "safe and responsible." I'm sorry, but I can think and make rational decisions. The car cannot. Therefore, if I wish to disable the chime, it is my car and I should be able to do that.

The stealership MIGHT disable it for you.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
because we all know we are going to be blindsided by another vehicle in our driveway. :rolleyes:
I will hold off on the rude comments, but I wanted to say this...

If you think this is impossible...

You should have been on my block the morning a '99 XJ (back in '99) lost control and well, eventually T-Boned my neighbor's car... in the driveway.

THANKFULLY nobody was in the car.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just coming back to mention I found this in the FAQ, sorry I will check around before posting in the future.

Thanks for the feedback though!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The simple fact is, just like asking to disable the airbags, disabling the seatbelt chime, WHICH IS A GOVERNMENT MANDATED SAFETY FEATURE, is not going to be possible.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The simple fact is, just like asking to disable the airbags, disabling the seatbelt chime, WHICH IS A GOVERNMENT MANDATED SAFETY FEATURE, is not going to be possible.

The seat belt chime disable procedure is in the manual

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will hold off on the rude comments, but I wanted to say this...

If you think this is impossible...

You should have been on my block the morning a '99 XJ (back in '99) lost control and well, eventually T-Boned my neighbor's car... in the driveway.

THANKFULLY nobody was in the car.

Well if nobody was in the car, no wonder it lost control. lol3.gif

I'm here all week. Tip your waitress.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...seriously?

that's kinda dumb...
It's not that it completely disables the chime; it will still chime three or four times when you first get in the vehicle if you haven't already buckled up before inserting the key. What it does is disable the incessant chiming that occurs starting about one minute after the initial chimes if the belt is unbuckled. And of course the friendly little light still glows to let you know the folly of your ways :)

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, it works and can be done. I came here and searched this site right when I purchased my Liberty. My mailbox is at the end of my driveway and when I get out to check the mail, I don't want to get back it, buckle up only to drive 50 more yards and then unbuckle, especially when it is my driveway. That chime is annoying. I always wear my seatbelt on state roads though.

BTW, when I learned it worked on mine, I figured it being a Mopar, I would try it on my dad's 2004 Ram. Yep, worked on his truck also.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, worked on mine. I was driving around a landscaping yard getting mulch in my utility trailer and it was getting annoying. I was also up at my buddy's with the trailer moving firewood as we diced up a few trees we felled and it was driving me nuts.

Like mentioned, it'll ding a couple of times and the light will stay on, but it'll stop dinging nonstop.