2005 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Libby 03 sport and just stepping on the gas, the thing would peel out.
I feel my 2005 renny is lacking that power. sometimes it cant get out of its own way. I have 6k miles on it. I was wondering if anybody who has traded to a newer model notices the same thing. Is there anything I should look in to?

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear Ratio

I'm new to the Libby with my 2005 Renny but I'm wondering if it's possibly the gear ratio. The Limited and Renny have different gear ratios but the same engine so that would be my guess as to the difference you're seeing.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, the different ******'s and gear ratios can all effect how the power is put to the ground.

Bennett

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, im glad its not anything wrong then..but it is making me miss the 03's power

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's definitely the lower gear ratio of the '03. My '04 can peel out. '02-'04 had 3.73:1, '05 has 3.55:1. This improved the highway MPG by 1 extra MPG.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I should be getting better gas milage with the 05 renny? but I'm not. I used to get between 18 -19 mpg with my sport and I'm only getting 17.5 with the renny. (Aeh)

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:
so I should be getting better gas milage with the 05 renny? but I'm not. I used to get between 18 -19 mpg with my sport and I'm only getting 17.5 with the renny. (Aeh)
Yeah but its the coolest Liberty ever made. =D> \:D/ O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:

how many miles ya got on the clock? If it's still a young'n it might need to finish breaking in first.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 6k on it...
and what jeepmed said...I agree, but I wish it take off faster. I guess you cant have everything right?

pokey72

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Mine is a '05 Rocky Mountain Edition (Renny) I just purchased a few weeks ago. I tried doing a burnout the other night, and nothing? So with a little encouragement from a friend tried a quick "breakstand" to see if I could spin the wheels, still nothing.

Yeah I know shouldn't be beating on it but with every new vehicle I get, I have to try it just once!

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
My wife's '05 Sport (Package C) with the 3.7 has the 3.73 gearing... my '05 Renegade RME (Package C) has the 3.7 with 3.55..... you can DEFINITELY tell the difference... her's is "zippier" from a stop.

You'll get WORSE mileage out of the 3.55 if you try to compensate for it by smashing the go pedal from every stop... ease up on the throttle, and you'll get better mileage.

Luis

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I got to let up on the ole lead foot. darn it...I loved when I left everyone in the dust with my sport. :-({|=

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, that's what I love about my '05 Sport. Still gets up there like a lightweight. :D

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:
Guess I got to let up on the ole lead foot. darn it...I loved when I left everyone in the dust with my sport. :-({|=

I know what you mean! \:D/ wrc.gif rollinglaugh.gif

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you're lucky you can with the 6speed...I wanted a manual but with stop and go traffic on 95...my leg cramps! maybe in my next life. O:)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Driving the '05 Renegade (see signature) around, I see exactly what you mean.

I looked under it...

Gear ratio is 3.73:1 EXACTLY the same as my '04 Sport.. 3.73:1. What gives? My '04 jerks me... seems like this '05 doesn't do that. Is it the towing package? Did you have that on your '03 Sport?

I just don't get it! (Aeh) :-s :-k ](*,)

zerotact

Reaction score
My '05 CRD squeals the tires as soon as the turbo spools up. If it's a tad wet, I can get it to swing sideways.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 CRD is the most difficult vehicle I've ever owned to get the tires to squeal. Why? Because you have to wait for the turbo to spool up.

It *****...you can hit the throttle and it'll fall on it's face. 0.5 seconds later the turbo will spool up and off you go like a racecar. It's a fast SUV, but don't expect it to squeal the tires from a standstill. 8-[

I think that some of you guys with '05s and gas engines just need to let yours get broken in. After several thousand miles they do get a little stronger.