2005 Jeep Liberty WONT START , dash accessories dont light up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenkab

Reaction score
i have a 2005 jeep liberty that will not start , the battery is brand new.When i turn the key in the ignition to acc nothing happens , its like i am not even turning it , key will turn but nothing on the dashboard, battery seems to be working since the headlight is very bright , interior lights work .

Basically when i turn the key , nothing happens , nothing shows up on the dash , not even a click .

Please help. I recently passed through some high water ..could that be the problem?

I have checked the fuse box and all the fuses seem to be good...what else can i check..Help guys .Thanks

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like starter is gone. Do the dash lights turn off when you go to start it?

Tap the starter to see if it will break free

kenkab

Reaction score
Sounds like starter is gone. Do the dash lights turn off when you go to start it?

I have done that , i just tried checking the fuses on the fuse box, the fuses seem ok but i noticed that the starter relay fuse is not getting any power to it , i tested it with a tester, all other fuses seem to work , tester lights up but only two , the starter relay 15A socket and the injector socket on the fuse boxes.

I checked the relay sockets next to the battery and they all seem to have the power .

What could be making the starter relay fuse socket not get any power to it ?
(small 15A fuse)

kenkab

Reaction score

The dashlights do not turn on or off when i try turning the key , its like no power is getting to the ignition.

I have stated in the above posting that i noticed that no power is being transmitted to the starter relay fuse.

jdawgl

Reaction score
The ignition switch actuator pin on my 2004 KJ went out last year. Looks like this Autozone link. I used this pin from autozone and it actually seats a little funny and I have to adjust it once a week, but that could be caused by the missing bolts in my assembly (crappy mechanic job). A mechanic will tell you you have to buy a steering wheel assembly but this is not true if only the actuator is broken.

The ignition actuator pin sits between your ignition key and electric switch. If it is broken, you will not hear your starter engage.

Edit: Don't forget to turn off your airbag system, as you will be in close proximity to the airbag.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a power or ignition problem not a starter problem. You would at the very least get lights if the starter was the problem.

...which I see you stated. My bad. :) Good luck though!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the Jeep in Neutral and then try to start. Hasn't happen in a long time but once in a blue moon the sensor on the shifter (assuming that's where it's located) wouldn't recognize the Transmission was in Park and wouldn't let me start the Jeep. Putting the transmission into Neutral or pushing farther up on the shifter to assure its properly seated in the Park Position would do the trick.

Usually this would happen if my Wife drove the jeep since she likes to be gentle with things. Naturally, I put more force on the shifter when moving to park.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What jdawgl said....the ignition actuator is possibly broken...there are lots of links as to how to change it and where to buy the park.

Have a look at the Sticky above on this forum called " how to start your Jeep with broken ignition"

kenkab

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions . I still havent been able to figure the problem out . I dont know if any of you caught this in my previous posting but the car had some water in it , am really not sure how high it was but lower than seat base level , could it be the PCM that got fried?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions . I still havent been able to figure the problem out . I dont know if any of you caught this in my previous posting but the car had some water in it , am really not sure how high it was but lower than seat base level , could it be the PCM that got fried?

The PCM is pretty much out of the way and is sealed reasonably well at the connectors.

You need to download the circuit diagrams for the Jeep and do some tracing of the wiring with a Multimeter.

Download the 2005 KJ Service Manual here which includes the circuit diagrams.

I believe the 2005 onwards KJs also have a "communication" module which sits somewhere about engine height...if that gets wet then all the CAN communications to all the modules such as the cluster BCM etc will get screwed up.....read this up in the Service Manual.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

kenkab

Reaction score
The PCM is pretty much out of the way and is sealed reasonably well at the connectors.

You need to download the circuit diagrams for the Jeep and do some tracing of the wiring with a Multimeter.

Download the 2005 KJ Service Manual here which includes the circuit diagrams.

I believe the 2005 onwards KJs also have a "communication" module which sits somewhere about engine height...if that gets wet then all the CAN communications to all the modules such as the cluster BCM etc will get screwed up.....read this up in the Service Manual.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Thanks alot for the info, downloaded the manual, gone through at and nthing yet..what do you mean by communication module, where is it located? Btw the headlights, inerior light, power door locks and the odometer reading work but when i turn to start the car the car doesnt start and the dashlights dont light up. If you can please offer siggestions..do you have any diagram of how power travels from the battery to the starter? I am thinking something in between there fried. Thanks

kenkab

Reaction score
The ignition switch actuator pin on my 2004 KJ went out last year. Looks like this Autozone link. I used this pin from autozone and it actually seats a little funny and I have to adjust it once a week, but that could be caused by the missing bolts in my assembly (crappy mechanic job). A mechanic will tell you you have to buy a steering wheel assembly but this is not true if only the actuator is broken.

The ignition actuator pin sits between your ignition key and electric switch. If it is broken, you will not hear your starter engage.

Edit: Don't forget to turn off your airbag system, as you will be in close proximity to the airbag.

The reason why i am thinking that it might not be the pin is because the car started fine before the flood , am thinking something between the battery and the starter fried ...headlights work great , odometer reading shows , interior lights work , power locks also work ....any suggestions on what it could be ? Thanks alot

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to disconnect the battery, and start disconnecting, checking, and reconnecting electrical connectors.

If it was in a flood that with water that high, before it can be driven it will need all new differential fluid front and rear, transmission fluid, transfercase flud. all of the breathers for these are below the seat level. new oil would be a wise investment as well.

I'd bet that the connector right by the hood latch behind the kick panel is to blame, but if it were my jeep, i seriously would take apart every single connector on it just to be sure.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the info, downloaded the manual, gone through at and nthing yet..what do you mean by communication module, where is it located? Btw the headlights, inerior light, power door locks and the odometer reading work but when i turn to start the car the car doesnt start and the dashlights dont light up. If you can please offer siggestions..do you have any diagram of how power travels from the battery to the starter? I am thinking something in between there fried. Thanks

What happens if you jumper pins 87 and 30 in the Starter Relay socket with ignition ON?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he's not even getting gauge lights. it won't start, the BCM isn't communicating which will mean that the ECM isn't getting power.

it's got to be one of the connectors in the driver's side foot well behind the kick panel or even one of the lower connectors to the fuse box/bcm module.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he's not even getting gauge lights. it won't start, the BCM isn't communicating which will mean that the ECM isn't getting power.

it's got to be one of the connectors in the driver's side foot well behind the kick panel or even one of the lower connectors to the fuse box/bcm module.

He is not getting gauge lights because he refuses to check if the ignition actuator pin is broken.

Headlights and interior lights will always work no matter what state the ignition switch is in.

The BCM has absolutely nothing to do with the solenoid energizing and turning the engine over hence why I suggest the OP tries to short out pins 87 and 30 in the Starter Relay socket. Provided fuse 8 (40 A) has not blown and the engine is grounded to the chassis then the solenoid has no choice but to energize and turn the engine over....once this has been done we can move along and find out why the Starter relay is not doing its job.:icon_cry:

edward678

Reaction score
i have a 2005 jeep liberty that will not start , the battery is brand new.When i turn the key in the ignition to acc nothing happens , its like i am not even turning it , key will turn but nothing on the dashboard, battery seems to be working since the headlight is very bright , interior lights work .

Basically when i turn the key , nothing happens , nothing shows up on the dash , not even a click .

Please help. I recently passed through some high water ..could that be the problem?

I have checked the fuse box and all the fuses seem to be good...what else can i check..Help guys .Thanks
I had same happen to me today. Unlocked fine with key remote.Turn to start, starter engagement for a millisecond. Then dead. I noticed a clicking just above my feet , under dash with key in on position only
( some relay I guess ). Also constant click noise at tailgate handle. Sounded like lock and unlock, but fainter. Only tailgate handle. No others. Louder from inside. I just disconnected negative cable at battery. Waited about ten minutes. Reconnected. Started right up.