2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tokeup69

Reaction score
update! think i may have found my problem..1. injectors were dirty and need to be replaced but i did clean them up a bit and plugged them up again...started the jeep still doing the same thing ...walked around the jeep and looked the exhaust is leaking whats feels and smells like oil so looks like i need to look at my pistons!

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update! think i may have found my problem..1. injectors were dirty and need to be replaced but i did clean them up a bit and plugged them up again...started the jeep still doing the same thing ...walked around the jeep and looked the exhaust is leaking whats feels and smells like oil so looks like i need to look at my pistons!

The oil in your exhaust may be due to you running the vehicle in its currently poor state. I would say you should swallow your pride and take it in for diagnostic work before you do some serious damage. See if you can find a shop with a snap on solstice scanner. The solstice is a serious piece of equipment. It tells you EVERYTHING going on in every aspect of a vehicle, if i had several thousand green backs to burn i would buy one in a heart beat. Nothing bettter imo

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel injectors were my next option when dealing with it...but they were hard to get to. I had codes reading too lean on bank 2 and all that jazz. So everything was just burning way too hot. Couldnt go above 30 without everything shaking to shit

Fuel injectors...not likely...but why do you say hard to get....can get either type (single hole or 4 hole) here in a day with no problems.

But just replacing injectors is a bad idea...never and i repeat never have all 6 injectors been bad at once.

Sounds like your problem is wiring related...either burnt, cut, or possibly chewed through.

Get yourself a copy of the factory service manual and go throught the diagnostic tree for the codes you currently have

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

UHHHH JUST A THOUGHT.....

Did you ever think to do a compression test on all cylnders?

You mentioned new Radiator....is it possible you overheated it?

The more i read the more I am taking a stab at a possible blown head gasket.

Just a chance, but rule it our by doing both a compression test, and then possibly check for exhaust gasses in the cooling system b using a block tester and fluid on a warmed up engine.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doc I was referring to a 97 ford explorer that i had this same issue with. Injectors were in a tricky spot. I think this may be a head gasket issue as well. My explorer had oil on the plugs..

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
UHHHH JUST A THOUGHT.....

Did you ever think to do a compression test on all cylnders?

You mentioned new Radiator....is it possible you overheated it?

The more i read the more I am taking a stab at a possible blown head gasket.

Just a chance, but rule it our by doing both a compression test, and then possibly check for exhaust gasses in the cooling system b using a block tester and fluid on a warmed up engine.

Good call, Doc.

Jfc513Foe

Reaction score
hi, im needing some help....couple weeks ago i replaced a raditor and a thermostat in my wife jeep liberty...now today we put some gas in as it was low..went to town to see some family everything was fine then got on the interstate coming home and was doing about 72m.p.h. and the truck started to shake like it got a flat...but looked down to see the engine light flashing. so i pulled over and looked couldn't see much but was rushing as we had our newborn in the car and wanted to get home as fast as possible! anyways as we started back to the house it was running rough as u give it gas, then as we were getting close to home it started bucking as u give it gas almost like it was out of gas! got home and parked it and it's idling rough!

im unable to work on it tonight as it's dark and raining..so gonna jump on it first thing in the morning was wondering anyone had anything like this happen before? and also wondering if anyone had any tips of where to start looking thanks for the help!

its a 2005 jeep liberty 3.7L V6 4x4 with 122k miles on it....it is due for a oil change lol but well taken care of for the most part thanks!

just pulled codes

p0304
p2311
p0522

so i changed the iginition coil and now its showing 3 more codes it didn't before

p0300
p0203
p0123
important fix: loss of power vehicle shuts off,check engine light flash ANSWER (AFTER SO MUCH RESEARCH) Crank shaft sensor, an cam shaft sensor, oil sending/pressure sensor

YOUR WELCOME lol