2005 CRD gauges dropping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepeesh

Reaction score
When making a turn in either direction, often all gauges briefly drop to zero and then come back to normal in a second or two, I also get a low-fuel beep and the light comes up. It also messes up with overhead computer (e.g. showing temps -40). Most importantly, it turns off cruise control and it won't turn back on after that.

Engine performance is not affected.

Anybody had this type of problem?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to see if any of the steering components are perhaps touching on a wire harness when turning the steering wheel which could cause a short to ground.

Otherwise it could be the clock-spring inside the steering wheel hub is faulty and likewise is touching ground or has a break in it.....this would definitely affect the cruise control and possibly the other problems although I would expect a bad clock-spring to only have a problem when turning in one direction only.

Ideally jack up the front and have a look at all the moving steering parts while swinging the steering wheel left to right....also see if the problems show up while doing this.

Otherwise maybe the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank has a problem.....is there any difference in having a full or empty fuel tank?

Jeepeesh

Reaction score
BillWill, thanks for your comments

It doesn't happen with the tank full. It starts showing when the tank is about 7/8 full. If I remember correctly, it all started with just the fuel gauge dropping (although initially I may not have paid attention to the rest of the gauges). Loose fuel sensor was the first thing I thought of, but then why would it affect the rest of the gauges and cruise?

Also, probably 90% of the times it happens when making a left turn, so it still could be the clock spring?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BillWill, thanks for your comments

It doesn't happen with the tank full. It starts showing when the tank is about 7/8 full. If I remember correctly, it all started with just the fuel gauge dropping (although initially I may not have paid attention to the rest of the gauges). Loose fuel sensor was the first thing I thought of, but then why would it affect the rest of the gauges and cruise?

Also, probably 90% of the times it happens when making a left turn, so it still could be the clock spring?

I would first run the tank almost dry and then drop it to have a good look at the fuel level sensor inside....also check all the wiring around there for chaffed wires or bad connections.

If you do not have the Service Manual you can download it here....the guys on Lost normally recommend that owners of either 2005 or 2006 KJs should download both year Service Manuals as each one leaves out a bit of information which is covered by the other....try the 2005 manual first and see if it is any help!

Not too difficult to replace the clock-spring yourself if needed!

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

Members online