2005 Cherokee (Liberty) air in diesel query

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ludi Neethling

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I live in South Africa.

I need your assistance and wisdom please.

My 2005 Jeep Cherokee(Liberty) (KJ) CRD 2.8 keeps on getting air in the low pressure fuel system. If I bleed air from the filter, in no time at all the primer goes soft again and same old story!!!

I replaced the filter head with upgraded one, all the hoses from the tank to the aluminium fuel line at the back and from this line to the filter in front. I also replaced the rubber hose from the filter to the high pressure pump.

The high pressure system (pump, injectors, etc.) is 100%.

This leaves me with the sender unit in the tank, which would cost me nearly R6K ($480) to replace!!!!!

Could somebody explain to me what actually goes wrong with this unit and if it is possible to repair without replacing it. I do not want to go the lift pump route, too many conflicting opinions on that.

Kind regards,

Ludi

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
From what I've been reading in the forums the lift pump is the solution. The system relies on the engine fuel pump to suck fuel all the way from the tank. There are some connections at the fuel tank that allow air to be drawn into the line. Supposedly they're designed to seal while pressurised... not while under suction. The lift pump is supposed to cure that. I haven't modified mine yet because it only acts up at -25 degrees fahrenheit. I suspected bad motor mounts until I read more on the forums.
Good luck.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I live in South Africa.

I need your assistance and wisdom please.

My 2005 Jeep Cherokee(Liberty) (KJ) CRD 2.8 keeps on getting air in the low pressure fuel system. If I bleed air from the filter, in no time at all the primer goes soft again and same old story!!!

I replaced the filter head with upgraded one, all the hoses from the tank to the aluminium fuel line at the back and from this line to the filter in front. I also replaced the rubber hose from the filter to the high pressure pump.

The high pressure system (pump, injectors, etc.) is 100%.

This leaves me with the sender unit in the tank, which would cost me nearly R6K ($480) to replace!!!!!

Could somebody explain to me what actually goes wrong with this unit and if it is possible to repair without replacing it. I do not want to go the lift pump route, too many conflicting opinions on that.

Kind regards,

Ludi

As stated the fuel line connections themselves are not designed for the "sucking action" that our CRDS do although I have not had any problems with my 2002 CRD...I do believe that the 2002 KJs were made a lot better than the later models after the Bean Counters got into the production of the later models!

So you would need to replace the connectors at the tank or fit an inline pump!

Are you sure that there is not an O ring missing on the filter itself or perhaps there are 2 O rings or perhaps the filter is not on tight enough?

Your original Racor Filter Head would normally not have caused problems.:shrug: