2005 4x4 Sport, 500 miles? Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, there's a guy selling an Atlantic Blue '05 Sport with 500 miles on it. He's asking a really low price for it. Wife spoke to him briefly, got the impression that he's an older guy and is in financial trouble.

I'm just a little nervous about that little milage. It would mean the car sat a lot. On the other hand, I'd have a whole lotta warranty left to iron out any issues. What do you all think about it?

ryanmcv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck does it only have 500 miles on it? Did he only use it to drive down the street to get his mail or something? :-s

I would also be a bit skeptical. I would do a full inspection on the car before going any further. And as far as the warranty is concerned, it's 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Considering it's an '05, the 3-year mark is probably approaching pretty fast.

Be cautious.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's only 2 tanks of gas in 2 years.......the original oil must be in there?? Yea, get a good mechanic to give it a good inspection and take it for a loooong test drive. Chech everything and get the full story. Maby the guy got sick or something and couldn't drive. The 05 models had 7/70 powertrain in addition to the 3/36. The warrenty starts from the date it is bought initally so it is running out fast time wise.

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
Man...that low on miles...it either has had to have sat a lot, or lots of EXTREMELY short distance driving (which is just as bad for an engine).

As mentioned, take it to a good mechanic, take it on a nice long test drive (maybe get on the skinny pedal a couple of times and run the crap out of it) and keep an eye out for anything that might seem....off.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys with it being a 2005 with only 500 miles on it, I would be very careful on this one, I would be worried about the seals on this thing, you would think they would be very dry, my biggest worry would be oil leaks, personally I would walk away from it, I can see this turning into a huge problem

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll avoid it.

I looked at an '06 Inferno Red Sport last night. Your standard sport, aluminum 16" wheels, deep tinted glass, cruise control. Very clean car, (1) 1" light scratch, slight stain on the passenger seat, slight scuffing on the interior trim (all easily cleanable). Dealer just didn't detail it at all. 12k miles, they want $16,500 out the door (that's as low as I could get them). Think that's a decent deal? I was looking more for like $15,500 out the door.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try to find more things wrong. Even the smallest things and then just make it out worse then it is to fix. The best way to get them down and is to convince them that its not a good deal at all.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll avoid it.

I looked at an '06 Inferno Red Sport last night. Your standard sport, aluminum 16" wheels, deep tinted glass, cruise control. Very clean car, (1) 1" light scratch, slight stain on the passenger seat, slight scuffing on the interior trim (all easily cleanable). Dealer just didn't detail it at all. 12k miles, they want $16,500 out the door (that's as low as I could get them). Think that's a decent deal? I was looking more for like $15,500 out the door.

ehh....for an 06 it's not that bad of a deal...i'd stil try to get them down a grand or two more. Tell them you're in no hurry to buy, and have several others on your list to go look at. :D

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the depreciation cost of a vehicle is astronomical. The dealer not detailing it and sprucing it up prior to trying to sell it is not a good first impression. Like UnLimiTeD said, convince them that even the littlest thing could be a problem and that your not in a hurry.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...yeah, the manager was like "for that low of milage, I can't drop it more". I told him I could get a new one for $20k, and we know they depreciate a good 25% right when driving them off the lot. His reply was "well, then you know how much you'll lose if you buy a new one"

I told him in a couple of weeks when it's still sitting on his lot, he can give me a call and we can discuss $15,500 ;)

2003KJ

Reaction score
"that low of mileage"???

Im sorry, but 12K isnt THAT low on an 06. National average for mileage on a car used to be 12K/year....but I believe its somewhere around 15K now...however most people still go by the 12K rule.

Actually for that price, you'd be better off dropping 4 more grand and getting a new one....hell you could probably even talk the dealership down a grand or two on a brand spankin new one...god knows with gas prices shooting up, these things are gonna be sittin on the lots...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compare the interest rates on new verses used also. Then there's the tax if it is a % of the value.

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, did you ever get a full story on the one with 500 miles?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, I never called on the 500 mile one. You all seemed to confirm what I had been thinking - it's just too risky in my mind. I was thinking of bad seals, non-oil changes, short distances or long times sitting (lack of upper engine lube on next startup)

I'm still hoping I can work something out with the dealer of this 2006.

Oh, FYI - I was told Chrysler Financial is at 8.25% for a 60 month new by a Jeep dealer. I can get a 5.99% (already approved) 60 month through Credit Union One, and that's good for used vehicles too.

Latest posts

Members online