2004 Liberty Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coverland

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2004 Liberty 3.7 and need to replace the water pump. I've looked at some youtube videos on this and noted that the majority of them don't include using any kind of sealant for the gasket which surprises me. Coming from the GM world, I never replaced anything without a gasket sealant so thought I'd put the question out here. Thoughts on the matter? Have you Liberty owners successfully changed water pumps with no sealant ??? :)

TIA

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2004 Liberty 3.7 and need to replace the water pump. I've looked at some youtube videos on this and noted that the majority of them don't include using any kind of sealant for the gasket which surprises me. Coming from the GM world, I never replaced anything without a gasket sealant so thought I'd put the question out here. Thoughts on the matter? Have you Liberty owners successfully changed water pumps with no sealant ??? :)

TIA

That is correct.
It is a gasket. You just need wet it before installing according to the FSM.
You could put some RTV on the outside lip.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct.
It is a gasket. You just need wet it before installing according to the FSM.
You could put some RTV on the outside lip.
You can get the stuff fromcthe dealer if you're worried about it. Its grey RTV from mopar sorry I don't have a part number
When it comes to bleeding, good luck with the bleed screw. Darn thing seized up in a BRAND NEW engine after 12k miles. Replaced the heater core in July, used an extractor got it out and put one back in with a square head that you can use a wrench on

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the bronze hi-temp from NAPA and did around the outside of the rubber seal just to maybe make it more durable. I did the bolts 40lbs. You have to take off the tensioner to access bottom left bolts.

Latest posts

Members online