2004 Jeep Liberty (3.6L/V6) "chugging"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamaliel

Reaction score
Hey there guys/gals. My wife and I have owned a 2004 Jeep Liberty for approx. 3-4 years now and it was purchased used. Recently I changed the Alternator and Battery. We realized we had to change the alternator (and not too long after, the battery) after a planned drive one day and we noticed the jeep starting chugging, we then quickly realized that it couldn't be good and so parked the car in the garage. It never turned on again, at least not without severe issues (lights, wouldn't start, etc). I then learned that it was most likely the alternator and then of course, the battery. I replaced them both personally.

Well fast forward about a week or so. Driving around today and parked, the jeep would not start, I decided to wait a bit, we then started it again and it started fine. The, out of nowhere, the chugging returned, but it was quite lengthy this time, maybe 3-5 mins. We then turned our hazard lights on and kept on driving, for at least another 30 mins. or so, since we felt that maybe it needed to be driven around for a bit since it had been out of commission for some time due to the alternator/battery issue. But then I remembered that we experienced that chugging problem right before the alternator/batt. issue and figured it had to have been something else altogether.

I apologize for the lengthy post but my main concern is this chugging. I've searched around on other sites (as well) and it could be a range of issues. I am ready and willing to answer any questions you guys have regarding my issue for clairity but I am really wondering what it could be. My wife and I did make a half-cross country drive (IL ---> CA) and my brother (after we arrived and before the chug/alternator/batt. issue) noticed we didn't have any coolant lol, I then bought some and filled the coolant tank to the required fill amount. So I was wondering if that long drive was an issue for the vehicle as well, though, to my recollection, we did not have ANY issues whatsoever during our long drive. Any issues seemed to have arisen after our drive and approx. a month or so afterwards. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately I'll probably just take it to the shop but I am definitely trying to learn our vehicle myself and learn more about what it is that causes these issues. Thanks again!

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there (or have there been) any warning lights on?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
"noticed we didn't have any coolant lol, I then bought some and filled the coolant tank to the required fill amount"

ah....did you fill it with HOAT coolant? or what coolant did u put in there?
Did the engine overheat?

Gamaliel

Reaction score
Hey there and thanks for responding. I am not sure what Coolant I put inside of it but I'll check tomorrow. There are also warning lights that come on, I'll also post those tomorrow as well. Also, as far as I know, the engine has never overheated, not to my recollection or knowledge. I'll keep you guys posted in any event and thanks again, I truly appreciate it.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go by the parts store and have them read the codes on the computer. If warning lights are on, the codes will give you, and us some insight as to what might be going on.

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.6 L V6? I want one! Seriously, is the chugging just at an idle or when you give it gas going down the road?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler-HOAT is what the KJ requires in the coolant department. (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) The dealer has the correct flush equipment & products. However if you had no coolant, you must have a leak, and system should be pressure tested, and leaky parts replaced to restore the system correctly.
38670[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

G05 is the only other substitute coolant products that should ever be used.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42
If you have used anything else, your entire cooling system should be immediately flushed and restored with the correct HOAT mixture and demineralized water.
Otherwise expect problems with your water pump impeller and who knows what else.
Post back the OBDII codes after having it scanned, it will point us in the right direction.

Attachments

• JeepHoatCoolant.jpg
    JeepHoatCoolant.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking on the same lines first check codes with a scanner.
How much coolant did you add? where did it go. Did you ever see a leak?
After filling you need to idle the engine about 20 mins cap off to remove trapped air then top off again. Did your oil level rise?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Art,
Welcome to "The Family".
My opinion, and feel free to blow holes in it, is that you might be dealing with 3 or 4 faults which may or may not be connected. Firstly and most importantly is your coolant problem needs sorting out. It's not the end of the world if you have put the wrong stuff in as a temporary measure as any coolant is better than no coolant but get it flushed and the proper Mopar/Chrysler HOAT stuff put in and see where the leak is. If the level is dropping consistently, then you have a leak, end of story. Find the leak and cure it. Keep a close eye on it every day till you are sure it has stopped leaking as if it runs dry it could blow a head gasket or worse. As to your "Chugging" problems, that may just be down to a faulty spark plug or something as simple as that. Have they been changed recently? Start off simple and cheap and shorten the list of possibilities. Obviously there are a lot more things it could be but start simple. Charge your battery and check the charging rate across the battery posts, should be about 14 volts give or take a bit when the engine is running. Get these couple of things done and then take it from there. Good luck, Steve :smokin:

Gamaliel

Reaction score
Even though this topic is pretty old (and I apologize for probably the worst delay in history lol) I'd like to offer a humble thank you to all who helped with their posts. The ol' girl is running well now and it's definitely great to be a part of these forums.