2003 KJ engine questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cervicalsandwich

Reaction score
Hi, I recently put a new motor in my '03. After it was all done, ran flawlessly, was super happy... my mother took it out on it's maiden voyage, and on this hour long ride somehow it managed to lose the drain plug, dump the coolant and cook the motor... woman driver :slap:

Anyways I'm having a real ***** of a time finding another '03 motor, my question is, what kind of additional work is involved in dropping an '02 motor in? I found a really cheap one with only 60,000km on it.

Thanks !

doolop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powertrainproducts.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to use an '03 engine - you can use a 3.7 block up through 2011 from any Chrysler product. The blocks are the same but there is a difference in the crankshaft reluctor (timing) ring and the cam sprocket but you can buy a kit to change those out. You will also need to use your Liberty's oil pan and intake and exhaust manifolds.

The 3.7 blocks from other Chrysler vehicles and other years are MUCH less expensive. Look for Dodge Dakotas and Jeep Commanders and Grand Cherokees for instance - their engines will probably be close to $1000 cheaper.

Here is a How-To write-up of the swap I did recently. I used a 3.7 from a 2007 Dodge Dakota and swapped it into my '03 Liberty. Do a little digging and you'll find a low-mileage engine that will make your Liberty purr - again :boxed:

Bob

Last edited: