2003 Jeep Liberty Suspension Replacement Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at first I was going to go with Monroe suspension all the way around for my 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4 but I decided to just raise it a few inches at the same time. The suspension is very rough ATM and makes a loud cluncking when turning & going over speed bumps & stuff.

I will list my options below if anyone could give me some guidance:
https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html
All J Products - Jeep Liberty KJ FRANKENLIFT
Or OME Springs with Rough Country shocks and struts for the rear to save some money ($550 total?)
Also I was debating on getting them assembled vs not but now I do have someone that will help me assemble them so that is no big deal.
Also I was thinking about Blisten shocks + struts and OME springs.
If anyone has any pros & cons it would be appreciated, thanks!

Also what are these options below for the front OME springs? Just a note that this is all new for me, thanks!
You must be registered for see images

https://imgur.com/a/rdzHjWM

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So at first I was going to go with Monroe suspension all the way around for my 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4 but I decided to just raise it a few inches at the same time. The suspension is very rough ATM and makes a loud cluncking when turning & going over speed bumps & stuff.

I will list my options below if anyone could give me some guidance:
https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html
All J Products - Jeep Liberty KJ FRANKENLIFT
Or OME Springs with Rough Country shocks and struts for the rear to save some money ($550 total?)
Also I was debating on getting them assembled vs not but now I do have someone that will help me assemble them so that is no big deal.
Also I was thinking about Blisten shocks + struts and OME springs.
If anyone has any pros & cons it would be appreciated, thanks!

Also what are these options below for the front OME springs? Just a note that this is all new for me, thanks!
You must be registered for see images

https://imgur.com/a/rdzHjWM

HE** no on the Rough country shocks, total junk
OME 927/948 springs with either OME or Bilstein shocks will give 2.5 inches over new stock height. Use 99-04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab rear shocks if using Bilsteins. Teraflex front bumpstops and 2 hockey pucks per side bolted down in the rear for bumpstops
Frankenlift is a good lift but also need JBA UCAs and gives you over 4 inches of lift and takes a long time to properly break in
DO NOT try to compress the springs yourself, take them to a shop to have them done. Unless you don't like your buddies face

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HE** no on the Rough country shocks, total junk
OME 927/948 springs with either OME or Bilstein shocks will give 2.5 inches over new stock height. Use 99-04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab rear shocks if using Bilsteins. Teraflex front bumpstops and 2 hockey pucks per side bolted down in the rear for bumpstops
Frankenlift is a good lift but also need JBA UCAs and gives you over 4 inches of lift and takes a long time to properly break in
DO NOT try to compress the springs yourself, take them to a shop to have them done. Unless you don't like your buddies face

Thank you for the advice! Would you mind explaining the options that are available on the screen show I posted for the front springs?

Also after your post I am leaning towards this lift: https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html - would I need the JBA A-Arms for this? Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! Would you mind explaining the options that are available on the screen show I posted for the front springs?

Also after your post I am leaning towards this lift: https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html - would I need the JBA A-Arms for this? Thanks!

I just did above or I thought I did
927 front springs/ 948 rear springs
132L rear shocks if going with OME springs and shocks
front shocks are the same no matter

AT 2.5 inches of lift no need for JBA UCA's BUT,.....they are a great upgrade and have rebuildable ball joints

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AT 2.5 inches of lift no need for JBA UCA's BUT,.....they are a great upgrade and have rebuildable ball joints

Thank you for the advice! I am making the order for the OME kit within the next couple of days. Are there certain distributors that are authorized to sell OME Products in order to get the limited warranty OME has to offer or does it really noy matter? I shopped around and it seems the best deal is located at this website: https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html - do you know of any better deals out there? Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I am making the order for the OME kit within the next couple of days. Are there certain distributors that are authorized to sell OME Products in order to get the limited warranty OME has to offer or does it really noy matter? I shopped around and it seems the best deal is located at this website: https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kj/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html - do you know of any better deals out there? Thanks!

jeepinbyal has the best overall service and customer support
Thats where I recommend that people go to
They also have the teraflex front bumpstops

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepinbyal has the best overall service and customer support
Thats where I recommend that people go to
They also have the teraflex front bumpstops

Okay thank you, I am going to go with the kit I referenced above from jeepbyal. Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to see you sticking around for some fun projects! You'll be absolutely in love with the new set up.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your advice! I am placing the order now & wanted to double check the comment you made as follows: "132L rear shocks if going with OME springs and shocks", I am going with this OME package: https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/lift-kits-jeep-liberty/ome-1-50-lift-kit-kj.html so should I select the 132L rear shocks? Also would I choose the 927 150 LB-GVW or the 927 0-110 LB MED? Also does the kit I referenced above come pre-built?

Glad to see you sticking around for some fun projects! You'll be absolutely in love with the new set up.

Yes I am glad things are finally going in my favor! I started a new job and have been using my Jeep every day for a 60 mile both way commute daily, it is running great aside from a very rough ride due to the shocks being completely shot and I think once I replace them with the OME kit its going to be a whole other experience! I can not thank you enough for all of your advice so far as I would now be where I am today without all of your help & guidance! Currently there are is no CEL or other lights on in the console & my Jeep runs quieter then the 2015 Genesis I recently got lol!

Also if you can answer any of my above questions I would be grateful, thanks!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is only one 927, other front springs from OME are 925 rated at 350 lb, 926s rated at 375 and the 927s rated at 400 lb

and yes on the 132Ls

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I spoke with someone there & the kit does not come with the struts & shocks assembled so I am going to call around to find a reasonable price for doing that, but in the meantime the kit has been ordered & soon enough I will be able to enjoy a smooth ride again!

I am just curious but will this kit make my Jeep ride smooth again like it did when I initially got it, or is it more stiff for off roading needs?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I spoke with someone there & the kit does not come with the struts & shocks assembled so I am going to call around to find a reasonable price for doing that, but in the meantime the kit has been ordered & soon enough I will be able to enjoy a smooth ride again!

I am just curious but will this kit make my Jeep ride smooth again like it did when I initially got it, or is it more stiff for off roading needs?

Take a while to break in but will ride much better than it ever was brand new. New stock springs and shocks ride like crap, when I bought the 04 brand new, could not wait to get rid of the crappy suspension
Yes take the front to a good shop to compress the springs and install shocks etc. They have to compress the old ones anyways

Last edited:

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a while to break in but will ride much better than it ever was brand new. New stock springs and shocks ride like crap, when I bought the 04 brand new, could not wait to get rid of the crappy suspension
Yes take the front to a good shop to compress the springs and install shocks etc. They have to compress the old ones anyways

Thank you for the useful information! Just so I know how much would assembling the shocks and struts run usually? The delivery for the package is estimated on Wednesday or Tuesday & I plan to call around on Monday to find a good reasonable shop to install & assemble them. With the new engine & other work my Jeep has never been running better & now with the new suspension kit I am stoked to have a enjoyable ride again & take some rough trails in the near future :). The next thing I plan to do is replace the tires since they only have about 5k miles left anyway with slightly larger ones to give me a overall lift of about 2.5-4 inches total! Are there any recommendation for tire specs that will with on the stock rims of my 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4 3.7 Limited? I would replace the rims also but I can not justify that since all 4 rims were replaced 2 years ago when someone hit & ran my Jeep & they are still in mint condition.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the useful information! Just so I know how much would assembling the shocks and struts run usually? The delivery for the package is estimated on Wednesday or Tuesday & I plan to call around on Monday to find a good reasonable shop to install & assemble them. With the new engine & other work my Jeep has never been running better & now with the new suspension kit I am stoked to have a enjoyable ride again & take some rough trails in the near future :). The next thing I plan to do is replace the tires since they only have about 5k miles left anyway with slightly larger ones to give me a overall lift of about 2.5-4 inches total! Are there any recommendation for tire specs that will with on the stock rims of my 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4 3.7 Limited? I would replace the rims also but I can not justify that since all 4 rims were replaced 2 years ago when someone hit & ran my Jeep & they are still in mint condition.

Shop I used didn't charge much, but then they did over 25 sets for me so got somewhat a break, and did all of the alignments also after install.
But shouldn't be over 40-50 bucks
Are you regearing? If not then even a 30.5 inch tire will decrease power and gas mileage so some things to think about. Larger tires, less gas mileage, less power, more wear and tar on transmission and motor

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop I used didn't charge much, but then they did over 25 sets for me so got somewhat a break, and did all of the alignments also after install.
But shouldn't be over 40-50 bucks
Are you regearing? If not then even a 30.5 inch tire will decrease power and gas mileage so some things to think about. Larger tires, less gas mileage, less power, more wear and tar on transmission and motor

Was that 40-50 for the assembly & install? Also I am debating the tired right now but it it has any downfalls at all I will hold off, I am glad I brought it up before buying & installing them!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Was that 40-50 for the assembly & install? Also I am debating the tired right now but it it has any downfalls at all I will hold off, I am glad I brought it up before buying & installing them!

That is just old springs compressed / iso's removed for new springs, and then new springs and shocks compressed and put back together
No that is not installed on the vehicle, that is a lot more depending on shop. For example I charge 400 currently for front and rear installed, bumpstops installed, ( I supply rear bumpstops ) etc. Includes everything including alignment BUT due to increased alignment costs may have to go up some. UCA's are extra 50 of course .
No one is going to compress springs and install on vehicle, if they do, they've never done one before

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is just old springs compressed / iso's removed for new springs, and then new springs and shocks compressed and put back together
No that is not installed on the vehicle, that is a lot more depending on shop. For example I charge 400 currently for front and rear installed, bumpstops installed, ( I supply rear bumpstops ) etc. Includes everything including alignment BUT due to increased alignment costs may have to go up some. UCA's are extra 50 of course .
No one is going to compress springs and install on vehicle, if they do, they've never done one before

Thank you for the deailed breakdown & general idea of how much the install will be! I did not order the rear bump stops you referenced, is this something I should order?

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So the rear is done! See the attached pictures of before and after which I will do for the front too.

http://imgur.com/a/7810kne

Would someone mind posting a detailed breakdown of how to do the front? I know you guys probably have some good tips, I plan on doing this today. Thanks!

I did find this for the front, but is there anything further anyone could contribute to that post to help me out? Keep i am a novice.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/front-suspension-replacement-learning-experience-55773/

Last edited: