2003 Jeep Liberty Sport airbag issue NEED IDEAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugh Phillips

Reaction score
my wife has a 03 liberty sport. I was totaled 3 months after it was brand new. Dont know why. But it has a Rebuilt Salvage title. And looks like new. When you first start it, the fuel filter makes a really wierd "clapping" sound until its warmed up. Not sure if its the filter, or the fuel pump. Since they are so close to the same area, I cant tell.

Next issue, the airbag light comes on. But sometimes it shuts off. But comes right back on. I get no codes on the scanner. But it does say "Left front impact sensor internal#1". Also says that for the right side. If im not mistaken, that is the sensors on the radiator upright supports. If so, they are $225 each before taxes. And thats way out of my budget for a 17 year old vehicle. Any ideas???

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there was some recall for the early KJs as regards the Airbags...I think something to do with wiring inside the cabin? I did not get that recall but had to replace the Clock-spring after about 7 years use on my 2002 Export CRD....Airbag light would come on usually when turning steering wheel in one direction!

I will see if I can find that recall FSB but it was a long time ago!

Try the "search" function on the Dashboard....has a lot of hits for "airbag"...I see you apparently have had all recalls done!

Last edited:

Hugh Phillips

Reaction score
my wife has a 03 liberty sport. I was totaled 3 months after it was brand new. Dont know why. But it has a Rebuilt Salvage title. And looks like new. When you first start it, the fuel filter makes a really wierd "clapping" sound until its warmed up. Not sure if its the filter, or the fuel pump. Since they are so close to the same area, I cant tell.

Next issue, the airbag light comes on. But sometimes it shuts off. But comes right back on. I get no codes on the scanner. But it does say "Left front impact sensor internal#1". Also says that for the right side. If im not mistaken, that is the sensors on the radiator upright supports. If so, they are $225 each before taxes. And thats way out of my budget for a 17 year old vehicle. Any ideas???

Yes, it had recalls on it. And they have all been done. It was the airbag module located under the console. It was done in 2016. I know it's not anything inside the cabin area. I have turned the steering wheel, sat in both seats moving the seats back and forth thinking maybe its just a loose connection. But got no results. But driving down the road, it will turn on. Sometimes stay on all day. Sometimes turn off a little later. Then back on again. Im lost. A dealership wants $89 an hour just to hook up thier scanner, and try to trace it. SCREW THAT!. I piece of electrical tape over the light is much cheaper. Lol

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

N8TE

Reaction score
Hello, I had the same issue as you did on my wife's 2002 Jeep Liberty regarding the air bag light. It would turn on and off intermittently. After a couple of years of seeing this, I took it to a mechanic and their scanner gave out the same code (Left Front Impact Sensor Internal #1). The mechanic wanted to replace the sensor, but I checked with Chrysler and found the recall that Billwill was referring to. The recall is called "Safety Recall R06/NHTSA 15V-04", and there's actually a very specific step-by-step manual available online that the dealer needs to follow.

I see you've had this recall performed already, but I mention it again because I decided to take the car to the dealer to fix for free, but they were very clueless about how to perform the recall correctly. They simply replaced the ORC module, but the air bag light issue still remained.

Now, if you read Page 4 of the linked document, it clearly says that if a customer brings in the vehicle with an Impact Sensor DTC, they need to replace the ORC module AND both impact sensors. Did your dealer replace both sensors (see Page 11)? If not, that could be the reason.

After a few weeks of back and forth with the dealer and printing this document for them, they replaced both of my sensors and the air bag light was finally fixed.

Last edited:

Hugh Phillips

Reaction score
Hello, I had the same issue as you did on my wife's 2002 Jeep Liberty (purchased in 2017, six previous owners lol) regarding the air bag light. It would turn on and off intermittently. After a couple of years of seeing this, I took it to a mechanic and their scanner gave out the same code (Left Front Impact Sensor Internal #1). The mechanic wanted to replace the sensor, but I checked with Chrysler and found the recall that Billwill was referring to. The recall is called "Safety Recall R06/NHTSA 15V-04", and there's actually a very specific step-by-step manual available online that the dealer needs to follow.

I see you've had this recall performed already, but I mention it again because I decided to take the car to the dealer to fix for free, but they were very clueless about how to perform the recall correctly. They simply replaced the ORC module, but the air bag light issue still remained.

Now, if you read Page 4 of the linked document, it clearly says that if a customer brings in the vehicle with an Impact Sensor DTC, they need to replace the ORC module AND both impact sensors. Did your dealer replace both sensors (see Page 11)? If not, that could be the reason.

After a few weeks of back and forth with the dealer and printing this document for them, they replaced both of my sensors and the air bag light was finally fixed.

Thanks for the info. I will have to contact the dealer again. Waiting a little breath will be better than $220+ each for the sensors. I will do this face to face. Not over the phone. Otherwise, they will give me the run around and try to get out of it. They already told me that since the recall was done over 2 years ago, they are not responsible for any other problems. So, i will want proof they changed the 2 sensors. Not just the module. Thanks again

N8TE

Reaction score
Yes good luck Hugh, it was quite a battle with the dealer but it's hard for them to refute this and worth the money savings.

Hugh Phillips

Reaction score
Hugh welcome. Here is the 2003 FSM for you. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
Here are some listings about the air bag issues. https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...+and+off&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
Hopefully this will correctly identify the fuel delivery components.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you for the picture. Im not sure if it is the filte d, or the leak detection pump. Is there a way to test it and figure it out without tearing the jeep apart? I wish I could send the video I have of it. I will try to figure out how.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Start with the Inside fuse panel- pull out fuse # 14= it is the fuel pump fuse. It's at the very bottom of panel shown in owners manual. After 14 is out is there still noise?
For video's you have to post to an external source ie youtube, or video sharing site.

Hugh Phillips

Reaction score
Hugh welcome. Here is the 2003 FSM for you. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
Here are some listings about the air bag issues. https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...+and+off&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
Hopefully this will correctly identify the fuel delivery components.

Start with the Inside fuse panel- pull out fuse # 14= it is the fuel pump fuse. It's at the very bottom of panel shown in owners manual. After 14 is out is there still noise?
For video's you have to post to an external source ie youtube, or video sharing site.
Ok. I will try the fuse idea. As far as doing the video thing, I am the LEAST technical person you will ever meet in your life. Im lucky to know how to do as much as i do to be honest.

On a side note......my sons 2007 liberty limited, is from Canada. Was bought new, and owned by GE and was a company car for a manager. Only has 126,000 on it. Not a speck of rust. Very good condition. Well taken care of.