2002 Libby vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Aloha folks,

I have a 2002 Liberty which has recently started rattling somewhere in the front passenger's area. It's related to the stereo somehow, I just can't figure out where exactly. My initial impression is the door speaker. It used to only do it with the bass at mid-level or higher. If you removed the bass, it went away. Now, even with the bass adjustment all the way down you get an annoying vibration sound (plastic-on-plastic?) from the passenger area. I'm thinking blown speaker, or loose speaker grill or screw, but wanted to check if anyone else has had it happen to them.

Thanks!

2003KJ

Reaction score
OK I have the EXACT same problem. Just noticed it the other day. Beating on the passengar door seems to be a temp fix.

If I put my hand in the little cubby storage thing on the door and pull towards me gently, the rattleing goes away. I'm thinking maybe just cheap plastic, or something come loose on the speaker. I usually keep my bass all the way up, as well as the radio, so i'm not surprised.

Happy Jeepin!

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a plastic-on-plastic buzzing when I crank the bass loud as well. Its coming from the rear driver's side, outside, where the fender flare meets the vehicle body.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have this as well. For the front speakers above the dash, I have had some vibration on occasion, during certain songs. I want to say that it is the speakers? I'll mess with the bass next time and see if it goes away. Might be a warranty issue...

HwnJeep

Reaction score
The Liberty's going in the shop this week for some other things, and they're going to check it out. Thanks for the input! (biggthumpup)

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only rattle I've had ('02 Limited) in the passenger compartment was from a carabiner hitched to the post on my rear-view mirror. Drove me nuts for about a half hour until I realized what it was. Doh! I just turned the radio up.

Hammer

HwnJeep

Reaction score
The jeep was looked at Friday, for a bunch of stuff since we're approaching the 36K mark. They removed the door panel and found the speaker outside edge had separated. They're replacing it when they get the parts.

They also replaced both rear window hinges, since they were corroding and falling apart. Also took photos of our wheels, which have a snake-like etching developing from the hub outward.