2002 Jeep Liberty running hot, help! Come on folks!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stfitts

Reaction score
Hey fellow jeep owners,

I bought my jeep liberty about a month ago with about 63K on it. I love it. Put I have discovered a problem......

Right after we purchased, I noticed that it ran warmer then are old car but I wasn't worried, it was a new vehicle to us, so i wasn't to worried. Well one day on my way to work it shot up and really got hot, come to find out, it had no coolant in it. I replaced the coolant, made it home, and did a quick oil change and radaitor flush. This happened about 3 weeks ago, well it started again tonight, I check the coolant, and sure enough it was low. Now I'm starting to get pissed. I don't want to go pay the damn deductible from the warrant when they will just say that they couldnt find a leak. It's not going in the oil, so I'm safe there for now.

Any way to check for leaks yourself? Anyone have this issue? Any ideas? I'm thiking about replacing the cap on the reservoir, but I wanna fix this quick, and want to no if I have a real prob.....

Any help will be great.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the waterpump, known for being garbage. usually a pink tracer coming from under w/p pulley. will be hard to see if you have heavy duty cooling package(larger radiator fan shroud)

stfitts

Reaction score
What should I be looking for?

This is something that is kinda slow, its been over 2 wks and it is pretty low, so i dunno if it will be a easy find.

I believe I have the heavy durty w/e cooling package because the fan is covered pretty well.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You might try taking it to a local shop you trust and have them do a good pressure test on it....just my $.02

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stfitts said:
Hey fellow jeep owners,

I bought my jeep liberty about a month ago with about 63K on it. I love it. Put I have discovered a problem......

Right after we purchased, I noticed that it ran warmer then are old car but I wasn't worried, it was a new vehicle to us, so i wasn't to worried. Well one day on my way to work it shot up and really got hot, come to find out, it had no coolant in it. I replaced the coolant, made it home, and did a quick oil change and radaitor flush. This happened about 3 weeks ago, well it started again tonight, I check the coolant, and sure enough it was low. Now I'm starting to get pissed. I don't want to go pay the damn deductible from the warrant when they will just say that they couldnt find a leak. It's not going in the oil, so I'm safe there for now.

Any way to check for leaks yourself? Anyone have this issue? Any ideas? I'm thiking about replacing the cap on the reservoir, but I wanna fix this quick, and want to no if I have a real prob.....

Any help will be great.

If you can not find a visible leak anywhere in the system, then there is only a couple of places it can be going. In the oil, which you said is OK,
or in the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. A pressure test of the cooling system may tell you what is up.

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
throw some cardboard under it at night and try and trace the leak. ive done this a few times, luckily, not with the liberty. no problems as of yet, except the heater control resistor and ash tray light...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
:-k .....I was thinking. You said you just got it last month. Did you get it from a dealer? Any warrenty? Some dealers give a 90 day warrenty at least on used vehicles?

stfitts

Reaction score
Yeah there is a warranty. Just a 40 dollar deductible. I don't want to drive a an hour and pay out a tank of gas, for them to tell me there's no leak, since it seems kind of slow

stfitts

Reaction score
I got to searching a day ago and found the leak, it was on the top driver side of the radiator. Small crack that didn't look cool.

After a full day of fighting with the dealer about the radiator being covered under my warraanty, they finally replaced it and all is good

wagonbldr

Reaction score
2002 Jeep liberty running hot

My 03 is also leaking from the spot you described. 133K miles. Took me a little while to locate the leak. New radiator from Auto Zone is little over $200. Have to tackle it next weekend.