2002 jeep liberty limited 4wd 3.7 - need advise & comments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hubbace

Reaction score
Ok, first hello from a Newb. I do not own a Jeep as of yet, but am looking for something in the KJ class [size wise] to replace my 01 F150 S-Crew 5.4L 4WD. My ole truck has a lot of years on it, approaching 180K and ***** the gas like it is crossing the saraha. Average 8-11MPG, and it is killing me on my trips to my hunt lease [approx 350-370miles round trip].

So I found this one, looks pretty solid, right at 80K, looks like it has been well taken care of. Looks like other than the winch bumper, it also has a K&N CAI.

So tell me what you think, how you like your KJ, what to look for, what to avoid. Any and all advise, comments, concerns, or jibber jabber will be greatly appreciated.

Plan to test drive it tomorrow and see what they will do for me on my truck.

Attachments

• TA_800.jpg
    TA_800.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 72

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She looks clean! Make sure all is sound with the transmission at this point. That's what I'm looking at. Also, listen for sounds from the front end for stearing and suspention issues. Looks like that one might be lifted because the ARB bumper does not look too sagged. I love the Jeep quite honestly. It's an extremely reliable vehicle and definitely a decent off-roader (she aint no Wrangler or such, but she gets the job done). I'd say if the price is right, the test drive goes well, and she's clean in and out, go for it. Put some bigger tires on her too! :)

hubbace

Reaction score
Yeah that's all I am looking for. Trick to take me to lease, get me in and out of camp in muddy road in, and that is it. No Rubicon in these parts. Lol. And my 81 Bronco at the lease does the work while there. Thanks for the info.

It will be weird though, of i go thru with this, it will be the first time in my life I will be without 8 cylinders. Lol. What is an ole Motörhead to do.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's all I am looking for. Trick to take me to lease, get me in and out of camp in muddy road in, and that is it. No Rubicon in these parts. Lol. And my 81 Bronco at the lease does the work while there. Thanks for the info.

It will be weird though, of i go thru with this, it will be the first time in my life I will be without 8 cylinders. Lol. What is an ole Motörhead to do.

She pulls like a small 8 quite honestly. But I know what you're saying. You're probably not gonna get nearly as much torque as you would want if you're used to an 8. But compared to other things this size and this old, it kicks the crap out of the competition. The 4.0 in the XJ and the 3.7 in the KJ are pretty quick and very matched (I used to race by buddy in his XJ ALLLL the time :p)

But yeah keep her clean and take care of her and she'll treat you well!

hubbace

Reaction score
That's cool. Glad to hear you relate it to the 4.0L as that is a beast and very solid. Like the 4.9L 6c in my bronco. It has more torque than most of the eights they kick out these days. Heading to see it in a few hours so wish me luck. With that a a few stars aligning I just might be a KJ owner by the end of the day. :)

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the color! Unless it's priced insanely high, I'd say you got a keeper. The ARB/winch is a definite plus, and the Jeep sits like it's got OME coils or something similar underneath. Just make sure it's a coil lift and not a bunch of spacers or something like that. K&N CAI: meh, I could live without it. No big deal, just watch out for those K&N filters if you drive in a dusty area. Apart from that, check the usual mechanical stuff- engine, ******, brakes, crawl underneath and check the CV/prop shaft boots, etc.

hubbace

Reaction score
I looked under her skirt and the coils look like they are not factory, and i could not see any spacers. WIll def get on my back and crawl under before any ink is laid to paper. Also want to get it out on the road and put a few miles on it on the freeway to make sure she don't walk and maybe get a clue on what kinf of milage she'll get. Will also need to verify the winch is all workie. Otherwise she may be the one. Just have to see what they say about my trade and what the loan folks say. Going to see if they will also work with me to get some new rubber on it prior to loan amount.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really nice!
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited, $8,950 - Cars.com

You have room to talk down a little. I wouldn't expect any more than 16 MPG in the city. Really depends on the tires.
One like that, you may want to see if it has been regeared. Based on the tires, probably not, but worth investigating. See if speedo is right on highway if you have a GPS.

Good miles for a 10 year old vehicle.

hubbace

Reaction score
Tire size is 255/70-16. Hoping to Get over there with my trade to see what they say. Hoping I am not jinxing it. :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Tire size is 255/70-16. Hoping to Get over there with my trade to see what they say. Hoping I am not jinxing it. :)

Sell your truck privately, you'll get more for it.
Your truck sells for what? Between lets say a low of $8200.00 and a high of $11000.00? (Just guessing)
A dealer will offer you $6000.00 to $8500.00? Maybe a bit more?
Steallerships only look at what profit they can make off of you and your trade in.
That's how it works around here anyway...

hubbace

Reaction score
Well it took a while but the deal is done. I am now the official owner of a KJ. Dealership still had it after a 2-3 week delay for me to get my title from Cali and get it sold. Cool thing they had reduced the price so it all worked out.

Looking forward to being part of the family. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it took a while but the deal is done. I am now the official owner of a KJ. Dealership still had it after a 2-3 week delay for me to get my title from Cali and get it sold. Cool thing they had reduced the price so it all worked out.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Ya, congrats.
Get some photos up when you can.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you won't get much love for K&N CAI here.

Everything else looks good as it does look like it hasn't sagged at all with the arb bumper and winch. If you get a picture of the front and rear suspension coils and shocks you will likely get feedback as to how it was lifted if your interested in knowing / are not sure.

255 70 16 are great size if you like the tires that are available as they are slightly less tall then 245 75 16 which is the verge of wanting (needing) to regear.

hubbace

Reaction score
Cardhu, pics on my profile album.

Also why no love for the k&n Cai? I have used them on other vehicles and they are tons better than stock air filter in my experience. Hell a k&n drop in is better than a stock Fram. :)

I looked at the coils prior to buying, rears have the ome part number (think its OME947), no spacers, front has no tags but also lift coils only, no spacers. Struts look new at time of lift, all yellow body. No indication of rub in wells, and turning lock to lock, all appears good.

This weekend is going to be basics, cleans air filter, oil change to my oil and filter, PVC valve, new tires (part of sales deal, no cost to me), some other add ons. Then in a few paydays, trams service, spark plugs, fuel filter, tcase and diffs oil r&r. Possibly hoses and belt too. Before it gets too hot, coolant r&r. That should cover me for a little while.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cardhu, pics on my profile album.

Hell a k&n drop in is better than a stock Fram. :)

No its not because it doesn't filter as well. Its been proven over and over. Plus, most people don't know how much oil to put on them and usually put too much. Then the oil sticks to sensors and then dirt sticks to them.

That's one reason. To find out all the other reasons go to every other forum with members older than 25 and you'll get the other reasons.