2.8CRD missing MAF sensor!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
I would like to disconnect the MAF sensor in order to disable the EGR as a budget mod. Only problem is that I can't find it. According to other posts and pictures online it isn't where it is supposed to be (on plastic duct elbow to the airbox? Is it located somewhere else on UK 2003 models?

Also should I clean the egr valve even once I have disabled it?

Lastly I have acess to a full diagnostic and programming kit, does anyone sell a map to improve fuel consumption and disable the egr that I can n buy?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to disconnect the MAF sensor in order to disable the EGR as a budget mod. Only problem is that I can't find it. According to other posts and pictures online it isn't where it is supposed to be (on plastic duct elbow to the airbox? Is it located somewhere else on UK 2003 models?

Also should I clean the egr valve even once I have disabled it?

Lastly I have acess to a full diagnostic and programming kit, does anyone sell a map to improve fuel consumption and disable the egr that I can n buy?

The 2002/3 Export CRDs do not have a MAF sensor.
The ECU on these models is a lot more basic than on the later models. the later models have an ECU that can sense that the EGR has been disconnected and will set a CEL.....they probably did this because the early models such as ours are very easy to disable the EGR.

On the RHS of the engine bay, next to the air-filter, you will see a small black plastic solenoid....has a small air-filter dangling from the bottom of it and a two-wire connector plugged in. Has two small rubber pipes going into the top of the solenoid.

The ECU on these early CRDs only checks that the electrical connector to the solenoid is not shorted out or open circuit.....what happens to the vacuum pipes is not checked by the ECU.

Best thing to do is to remove one of the small vacuum pipes and screw a small self-tapping screw into the exposed nipple...then place the pipe back to hide the screw head. This blocks off the vacuum from the vacuum pump to the EGR so the EGR can never open....you just need to hope that it has not jammed in the open position.

I did this to my 2002 2.5 Export CRD some years ago and definitely feel more power on the open road ecspecially when cresting a hill at high speed....used to get a bit wheezy before I did this mod and I am happy to not have hot soot drawn directly into the intake manifold now!

DanbellKJ

Reaction score
The 2002/3 Export CRDs do not have a MAF sensor.
The ECU on these models is a lot more basic than on the later models. the later models have an ECU that can sense that the EGR has been disconnected and will set a CEL.....they probably did this because the early models such as ours are very easy to disable the EGR.

On the RHS of the engine bay, next to the air-filter, you will see a small black plastic solenoid....has a small air-filter dangling from the bottom of it and a two-wire connector plugged in. Has two small rubber pipes going into the top of the solenoid.

The ECU on these early CRDs only checks that the electrical connector to the solenoid is not shorted out or open circuit.....what happens to the vacuum pipes is not checked by the ECU.

Best thing to do is to remove one of the small vacuum pipes and screw a small self-tapping screw into the exposed nipple...then place the pipe back to hide the screw head. This blocks off the vacuum from the vacuum pump to the EGR so the EGR can never open....you just need to hope that it has not jammed in the open position.

I did this to my 2002 2.5 Export CRD some years ago and definitely feel more power on the open road ecspecially when cresting a hill at high speed....used to get a bit wheezy before I did this mod and I am happy to not have hot soot drawn directly into the intake manifold now!

That's great news thank you. Should I give the egr a thorough cleaning also?