2.8 Limited losing power after 1500rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rain

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm a newbie to the Jeep world and loving it! but yesterday a problem started happening while driving.

On startup and idling its fine, but when I push it, while driving, about +/- 1500rpm and hold it it begins to jerks slightly losers powers. If I proceed to open it up further, the revs climb (not as fast as they should) and I begin to get a sound as if it trying to suck air from the inside of the car.

I have only had this for 2 months now so still learning the about it, but if anyone could help with some advise, that would be great.

Thanks,
Jay.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that the thick rubber hoses (CAC hoses) going from the turbo to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake manifold have not developed a split or tear in them...take them off to have a good look.

If these are ripped try to get SAMCO silicone hoses....avialable in different colours....see what I did there....and last much longer.

If that is not your problem then go to the CRD "Love the Torque" section at LOST JEEPS • Index page

That is the best place for CRD problems...and let them know what year your Export CRD is. I am out of action for the next week so cannot comment further!

Red Rain

Reaction score
Nice one! just checked quickly by hand and found a split straight away nearer the intercooler.

Will most likely have to wait a week to get sorted though, is it ok to drive still while its like this? I am assuming if I keep at low revs?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice one! just checked quickly by hand and found a split straight away nearer the intercooler.

Will most likely have to wait a week to get sorted though, is it ok to drive still while its like this? I am assuming if I keep at low revs?

Tape up the split by wrapping a major amount of "Duct Tape" around the hose...it will help keep the air in to some extent. You can reinforce the Duct Tape with some electrical cable ties....I always keep these in my tool kit in the cargo bay....if you can't fix something with Duct Tape then you need to scrap the vehicle:icon_lol:

If you are fitting OEM CAC hose then you will note that the end of the hoses have a marker to line up the hose with the plastic part of the Intercooler.

SAMCO hoses do not have these markers on the end of the hoses....you have to carefully twist the hoses to a good position where the hoses do not rub on any other component.

SAMCO do provide their own Jubilee clips to attach the hoses but most CRD owners prefer to use the original OEM clips.

Last edited:

Red Rain

Reaction score
sorry about the late reply....

I did that very thing on the staurday before, even got some heat resistant tape over it as well... ran much better

But then was late for something and over did the revs and well... got to redo it now.

I will be getting a new hose soon, but this does defo work, just got to remember not to push it more than it needs.

Thanks for the heads up on the hoses. So far Jeep has given me an alright price on the hose, but may just thrown in the extra cash for better pipe... think its better for my driving style :)