2.4L timing belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danakin

Reaction score
So I bought this '04 with 150,000 miles and it came with very little background info. The last owner kept good records but didn't have it very long. No record of timing belt replacement. I feel like I need to do it now since I don't know if or when it's ever been done before. I guess that means I should plan on replacing the water pump, serpentine belt and serpentine belt tensioner while I'm at it. Is there a list of other parts that are recommended to be replaced too? I'm not convinced if I want to do this in the back yard or take it to a shop. I have pretty decent mechanical skills but this would be the deepest dive I've taken into a motor. What ballpark should I expect to pay a shop if I went that route. Thanks for any input!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The service manual covers the 2.4. There's an online version; hopefully somebody can provide a link, my computer skills are lame.

If you can afford it replace all the idler pulleys and tensioners and keep the old as fair spares. It's possible the idlers have left hand threads (the 2.8 CRD does) so keep that in mind before you go for the breaker bar. The 2.8 CRD water pump is driven by the timing belt and replacement is recommended during a belt change because it's unlikely to last two belts. If the 2.4 water pump is driven by the timing belt I would change it.

There might be special tools needed to position the cams and crank during the belt install.

Danakin

Reaction score
I think I'll get a quote but I'll definitely include the pulleys and water pump. I'm a firm believer in doing things while the opportunity is there.
So am I understanding there's an idler pulley and a tensioner for the serpentine and the same for the timing belt?

Latest posts

Members online