18" rims.. what size mud tires will fit with stock height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
uh dude...
the LX car is 5x115.
The KJ bolt pattern (which dates back to AMC days, which was used in the first place because of it being commonality with Ford car parts being used on AMC cars) is 5x4.5. (5x114.3)

IT IS DIFFERENT.

But having a set of MTs on your KJ stock wheels if you want to run a lower profile tire on road would be ideal...but ThunderbirdJunkie will still advise against the LX car wheels on the KJ.

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about those tires old krusty has? can you get those in 18"

I assume you were talking about me...:D

I too don't believe you'll find an 18" M/T that will fit a stock Liberty. If you do, it will cost you more than new rims , tires, and a full lift. Like recomended, you're honestly better off with two sets of rims/tires. I'll explain why later.

Let me tell you about my experinces with Liberty tires and rims....

Get comfortable (popcorn)

My '06 Limted came with the 17x7.5 inch factory chrome rims. With my first attempt to replace the tires, I wanted some 235/65-17 (OEM size) A/Ts. The problem was, all but nobody made any in that size. I ended up with Toyo Open Contry A/Ts. I liked them so much, two months later I bought 265/75-26 for my Full size Dodge PU. Not only were the truck tires bigger, with almost twice the tread depth, but they cost me $150 less for 4. Thus began the quest for lift, and 16" rims...(the picture is before the lift, with the Toyos)

40K miles (these were supossed to be 50K tires), and a recent 2" lift later, I started shopping for some new 17" A/Ts. There are more mfgs supporting these now, and the ability to go bigger helped, but I found the 17" size still cost anywhere from $20-$40 a piece more for the same size 16" tire.

With some prudent shopping, and a 100 mile round trip, I was able to find the 16" Moabs with 245/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R at a decent price. The tires have about 50% tread left, and though a bit noisy, will get me by until I sell the original rims and save some pennies for some new A/Ts. I don't know what the availability of the MTR is in an 18" rim.

Don't get me wrong, I still made some compromises. The Moab rims have about 1" less backspacing. While this adds about 2" to the overall track width, the now widened arc (turning radius) of the front wheels coupled with the bigger tires causes some rubbing. I will try to compensate with some clevis lift, but most likely will step down a size when replacing the tires.

Now, why are two sets of rims/tires better? First without a lift, you are limited to about a 30" tire. With an 18" rim, almost 2/3 of the 30" is lost just to the rim. This leaves you about 6" of sidewall - minus tread depth, or about 5" (or less) of actual sidewall height.
While this reduced sidewal height or "low profile" helps firm up the tire for "street racer" rides, it is the exact oppisite of what you want on the trail. Offroad, the taller sidewall helps the tires abillity to flex, allowing it to absorb more trail obsticles, and provide better traction by conforming to the terain.

Tire selection is about compromise.
If you must have 18" rims - get used to street racer tires.
If you must have M/Ts - get 16" rims, and consider a lift.
If you must have Chrome - You can usually find some chome "steelies" in just about any size.
If you can compromise - PM ME! Maybe we can work out the sale of my 17" OEM Chrome Liberty Rims - I have all 5... and the picture doesn't due them justice :D

Attachments

• right-b4.jpg
    right-b4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys i have been researching and on a web site called groupbuys.com (http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/pitbull-radial-tires-pitbull-radial-growlers-c-61_1133.html) and have found a set of these pitbull tires (growlers 245/75r16) that have an overall height of 31.25" they claim to fit my stock 16s would these be an ok option?(providing i lift it) as for the 18s i may jus have to sell them if you are talking my kinda numbers for those 17s uncle krusty

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as for the 18s i may jus have to sell them if you are talking my kinda numbers for those 17 uncle krusty

I know what these are going for in the local wrecking yards, and kinda what I need to get for them (less than wrecking yard).

The only problem I see is what it would cost to ship them clear accross the country. To save shipping I would have to have the worn out tires removed...

If I could get your zip (PM Me), maybe I could see what shipping ground would be...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Krusty's got it right.

17s have a much better selection for tires, and will offer you the chrome you desire and you can turn those LX wheels (which are the WRONG bolt pattern to begin with) for a profit to help pay for tires.

245/70-17 and 265/70-17 and 235/80-17 all have a reasonable selection of man tires available.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
well guys i have been researching and on a web site called groupbuys.com (http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/pitbull-radial-tires-pitbull-radial-growlers-c-61_1133.html) and have found a set of these pitbull tires (growlers 245/75r16) that have an overall height of 31.25" they claim to fit my stock 16s would these be an ok option?(providing i lift it) as for the 18s i may jus have to sell them if you are talking my kinda numbers for those 17s uncle krusty

If you can live with tons of noise and short tread life, GET THEM.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i guess i have to wait and see what kinda numbers krusty is talking for his rims then i may be able to work out something with the 17s so they can be good hwy shine and still be man tires for when i wanna go out and play