17x8 black rock alloys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quicksilversurf917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about keeping my 245/65/17's and getting these...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRW-900B781245/ and when they go bald or when id need new tires I would go to 255/70/17's or something along those lines. I would get 15"s but I doubt they would clear the calipers...

what do u guys think? I want to go above and beond with wheels. I want something besides cragars but I also want alloys because they are lighter.

Would there be any problem running these? what about offroad- airing down, would they bend easily? etc.....

Thanks fellas!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Im thinking about keeping my 245/65/17's and getting these...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRW-900B781245/ and when they go bald or when id need new tires I would go to 255/70/17's or something along those lines. I would get 15"s but I doubt they would clear the calipers...

what do u guys think? I want to go above and beond with wheels. I want something besides cragars but I also want alloys because they are lighter.

Would there be any problem running these? what about offroad- airing down, would they bend easily? etc.....

Thanks fellas!

As long as the back spacing isn't going to interfere with rubbing issues
(Unless you can deal with that!) there shouldn't be a problem with them.
As far as "bending" goes...

Alloy wheels can bend to a degree, but if you hit something very hard, they tend to crack and break leaving you to swap it out and mount the spare tyre!
But over all, an alloy wheel is better.
Less unsprung weight and better handling.
A steel wheel may not "Break", but it can do more damage to the suspension components of the vehicle!

(I'll add this, folks will chime in here telling you differently!)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forged alloy rims will take alot of abuse,tend to bend before cracking but are really no lighter then steel rims and are 2-3 times the cost of cast alloy rims(weld rims are forged).Cast alloy rims(like the ones you want) crack before bending in most cases and like to chunk when scraped against rocks,overall the weakest rims but also the lightest.Steel rims bend,in most cases it's just the bead area and are easily bent back with a hammer but they are the heaviest but also the cheapest,those simulock rims(fake beadlocks) help prevent almost all of the steel rim shortcomings for bending execpt for high speed curb hits.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so anytype of alloy's really arent the way to go if there is some type of wheeling involved that includes rocks...?
No,just got to pick your poison,light to moderate wheeling cast wheels are fine.If your running a 31" tire with a 16" rim your sidewall is not all that tall so your rim has a higher chance of getting hit unlike if you where running 35" tires on a 15" rim.Good forged alloy rims will survive offroad just fine but at a higher cost,and they do make specific offroad rims that are both cast and forged alloy.Cast rims are okay but are the weakest and also tend to corrode and leak air after time but coated cast wheels that are well maintained are less prone to corrosion.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02 on wheels
keep your oe wheels and shop for some one who made a switch
buy theirs for cheep and have 5 spare rims
the oe wheels on my TJ are much lighter than even the stock
steelies and I have 10 rims ,5 on the jeep and 5 spares
so if they break no biggie
also cost way less than going after market

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My thing is don't get 17"s....such a limited off road tire selection in KJ sizes...

Midgear

Reaction score
My .02 on wheels
keep your oe wheels and shop for some one who made a switch
buy theirs for cheep and have 5 spare rims
the oe wheels on my TJ are much lighter than even the stock
steelies and I have 10 rims ,5 on the jeep and 5 spares
so if they break no biggie
also cost way less than going after market

I don't know about other Liberties, but my stock wheels have this huge dip, or lip on the inside of the wheel right behind the spokes, and that lip collects all kinds of crud, mud, water, dirt, I even found chunks of wood back behind the spokes that were jammed into the lip.. and when you come off a trail and go to accelerate to normal road speeds, the wobbling because of that junk caught in that lip gets pretty nasty-

So for me, I don't like my stock wheels lol, I'll be going with an aftermarket steel wheel, and at 62 dollars a piece, replacements or extra spares can be had easily.

My thing is don't get 17"s....such a limited off road tire selection in KJ sizes...

That's the only reason I'm not buying those 17's in question here..