12vt air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried the search engine but haven't had any luck finding 12vt. air compressors. I'm looking for something I can use out in the boonies to air up after having reduced pressure for offroading. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure most of the 12vt. "plug-in" compressors are junk, but is there an exception to the rule? I looked at a Slime compressor for about 60 bucks @ Auto Zone and it didn't look too bad. I'm not opposed to a manual pump of some kind, but I'd prefer a "powered" unit. Don't want to spend alot of money but want something I can depend on. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :-k

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the same 12 volt compressor called "Truck Air" for the past 7 or 8 years.

It takes about 3 - 5 minutes to air up one 31" BFG M/T from 15 to 35 PSI. The cig plug is not the best and the unit blows fuses when plugged into the cig outlet. The solution is to cut off the cig plug, get an extension cord, wire the original cord to the extension cord. Then put some alligator clips on and run it straight from the battery.

You can get them online, in automotive and 4x4 stores. I paid about $35.00 for mine way back when, but from looking it up online, it seems they sell for about $42.00 now.

I've always wanted a CO2 tank, but I don't wheel that much anymore, so I can't justify the expense.

Here is a link and check out the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/TRUCK-volt-Heavy-Duty-Compressor/dp/B0007ZAJ8G

You must be registered for see images

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the compressor i use

takes about 3-4 minutes to fill up a tire, its also got a built in flashlight.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sgoat said:
Thanks AZKJ for your input. While looking for the unit you talked about I came across this bad boy. Sounds like about what I'm willing to spend at this time. It's a battery hook-up system like what you suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/Key-Parts-MV50-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

You're welcome.

That looks like a nice set up. I'm going to have to look into one. How about a product review when you get yours? Thanks...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks AZKJ for your input. While looking for the unit you talked about I came across this bad boy. Sounds like about what I'm willing to spend at this time. It's a battery hook-up system like what you suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/Key-Parts-MV50-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8
So, did you ever get your MV50 compressor and how well does it work?

My Truck Air unit gave up the ghost yesterday, after eight years of use. I did some research and ordered the MV50 yesterday, from Amazon.

It got some pretty good reviews and pumps 2.54 CFM, which is good. It draws enough juice that it only hooks to the battery, not the cigarette lighter plug, so no blown fuses.

The strange thing is Auto Zone used to carry them a year ago, but all of a sudden they discounted them from $69.00 to $25.00 to get rid of them (at a loss). Then they stopped carrying them after their supply was gone. I can't find out why.

Here is a pic of the unit itself and I'll post a product review after I get it....

Last edited:

Gringo Loco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that compressor MV-50, it works well. I have mine mounted under the hood and is directly hooked up to the battery for almost two years with no problems. Let me see if I can find a pic.

That's not my KJ I got the idea from Hoss75 over at lost

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Silverton Co. where I was able to do some wheelin'. I had the opportunity to use the M50. Can't tell you how impressed I was with it's performance. I had tried it at home before I left and it worked well. I aired down to 26 PSI from 36 PSI in Silverton, and aired back up in Silverton when I got back. I didn't put the stopwatch to it but it did its job well. Money well spent!

Last edited:

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you guys are paying for those but just to let everyone know, Costco (at least here in AZ) carries them for $48.xx or so. No shipping cost or waiting, something to think about. I bought one a while back and it works well.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Silverton Co. where I was able to do some wheelin'.
Still kind of cold up there, no? There must be snow on most of the higher passes this time of year or is most of it gone? What trails did you do? Have you done Black Bear in the Liberty? I've done it in the TJ, no problems except that one turn to the right and off camber to the left with a big drop off on the drivers side. We're making our third trip up there come September.

I'm not sure what you guys are paying for those but just to let everyone know, Costco (at least here in AZ) carries them for $48.xx or so. No shipping cost or waiting, something to think about. I bought one a while back and it works well.
Thanks for the tip. I was at the one on Superstition Springs and Power last week and didn't see any. You know Costco... here today and gone tomorrow.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harbor freight has a high output 150psi one, its 60 bucks, you can use that to fill a tank, or on its own, i was thinking of mounting it under the hood. it omes with a 20ft cable and all.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harbor freight has a high output 150psi one, its 60 bucks, you can use that to fill a tank, or on its own, i was thinking of mounting it under the hood. it omes with a 20ft cable and all.
Here you go from the Harbor Frieght website. It seems like a good deal, BUT the HV50 is rated at 2.54 CFM....

12 VOLT, 150 PSI, HIGH VOLUME AIR COMPRESSOR

This compact, high volume air compressor will fill a car's flat tire in 3 minutes.

- Gearless direct drive for quiet operation
- Thermal overload protection
- Cast alloy pump casing with cooling fins
- Anti-vibration rubber feet
- Includes 33 ft. coiled air hose with brass tire valve, pressure gauge and 10 ft. 4'' battery cables

12 volt motor, 30 amp, 150 PSI max., Air delivery: 1.35 CFM @ 40 PSI, 1.14 CFM @ 70 PSI, 1.05 CFM @ 90 PSI, Overall dimensions: 11-1/4'' L x 5-1/2'' W x 7-1/2'' H, Overall weight: 11 lbs.

ITEM 93186-1VGA

Was: $69.99
Now: $59.99

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still kind of cold up there, no? There must be snow on most of the higher passes this time of year or is most of it gone? What trails did you do? Have you done Black Bear in the Liberty? I've done it in the TJ, no problems except that one turn to the right and off camber to the left with a big drop off on the drivers side. We're making our third trip up there come September.

Cold? "Brisk" would better describe the conditions. Most of the trails are clear but muddy (snowpac run-off). I'm still new at this 4-wheelin' game so I keep to the "easy" trails. We made it up to Stoney Pass and later checked out the ghost town at Animas Forks which was great. I tried hiking a 100 yds to one of the structures and couldn't make it in the 3ft. deep snow. I think in another couple of weeks it should be doable. I was up there last September and would have to assume that would be "prime time" for wheelin'. I looked up Black Bear Pass in my "Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" book and it said it was rated as "difficult". AZKJ....you're a braver man than I Gunga Din!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick to my PowerTank,able to push 250psi at 33cfm.I can run air tools,reseat beads,and only takes about 3 min to reinflate my tires from 12psi to 38psi,can your little air pump do that?.Leave those little pumps for filling baketballs and such.You can find good deals on CO2 setups,RockLizard is selling a setup(not sure of the price),"the source" has a setup for like $200-$250,and then there is the PowerTank for $369+(it's worth it alone due to the regulator).It only costs about $14 to fill and I can fill my 4 tires from 12psi to 38psi about 12 times before needing a refill.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick to my PowerTank,able to push 250psi at 33cfm.I can run air tools,reseat beads,and only takes about 3 min to reinflate my tires from 12psi to 38psi,can your little air pump do that?.Leave those little pumps for filling baketballs and such.You can find good deals on CO2 setups,RockLizard is selling a setup(not sure of the price),"the source" has a setup for like $200-$250,and then there is the PowerTank for $369+(it's worth it alone due to the regulator).It only costs about $14 to fill and I can fill my 4 tires from 12psi to 38psi about 12 times before needing a refill.

Impressive......You the man!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... I couldn't wait for my Key Parts MV50 to come in from Amazon. Pep Boy's had the exact same unit under a different brand name, Master Flow MF-1050, so I got one this afternoon (even the boxes are almost the same).

Review:

- it is a compact unit with lots of guts and a nice carry bag.
- it uses alligator clips straight to the battery, so no blown fuses
- the insructions give a 30 minute operating time before you have to let it cool off.
- it has an automatic cutoff if the unit does get too hot.
- the pressure gauge was off by about 3 lbs.
- I aired up a 31" x 10.5 BFG M/T from 15 psi to 40 psi in exactly "3" minutes.
- IMO 12-15 minutes to air up four large tires ain't too shappy, especially for $59.99.

Conclusion:

I'd highly recommend the MF-1050 or the MV50. It's not OBA, or a C02 tank, but it will get the job done and back on the highway in no time.

This is the same as the MV50, just a slightly different box....

The carry case....

Hooked up next to a 31" x 10.5 BFG M/T, 15 to 40 psi in three minutes....

Last edited:

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Their the same units right down to the bag. I saw them at Pep Boys just after I got mine from Amazon. One of the off-road magazines did a product evaluation of it (under several different names) and they were pleased with it's performance. I think it will serve it's intended purpose well while at the same time not breaking the bank!

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick to my PowerTank, able to push 250psi at 33cfm. I can run air tools, reseat beads, and only takes about 3 min to reinflate my tires from 12psi to 38psi, can your little air pump do that? Leave those little pumps for filling baketballs and such.
No, my little air pump can't do all that. Good for you that you have a heavy duty set up that can. Stick with your Power Tank and tell us all about it, but you don't have to be so arrogant about it. Everyone is not ******** as you are, so cut us some slack with our little pumps.

There is no comparison between your system and a 12 volt compressor, which BTW is what this thread is all about. The 12 volt units serve their purpose of airing up after a trail run and not everyone needs to run air tools etc. If you want ******** air, your setup is great, but for most folks it's overkill, takes up too much room in the back end and is too expensive....

Last edited:

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the compressor i use

takes about 3-4 minutes to fill up a tire, its also got a built in flashlight.

I have the same one. I won it in a raffle a few years ago on the 4th of July.
It works pretty decently for airing up and seasonal air pressure adjustments and my son and the kids in the neighborhood love me (bikes, footballs, basketballs).