1/2 Drive Air Wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know where else to post this,but here goes I need to buy a new air wrench and since it will be used on a Liberty I posted here. So what is the best to buy? Type,model,pressure ratings,max.torque and any other info.would be appreciated. Thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking at air wrenches check out the new hammer head IR's,totally kickass.If looking for a impact again look at the IR's(Titanium series),totally kickass also.

Now if looking at cordless impacts like in the above link I would totally skip any others and go directly with Snapon's 18v.Do not get Lithium Ion batteries,no power when the temps drop below about 55 degrees,I know I had the 28volt version of the above link and it sucked when it got cold.My Snapon cordless is 2-3 times as powerful also,but it does cost $550.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking at air wrenches check out the new hammer head IR's,totally kickass.If looking for a impact again look at the IR's(Titanium series),totally kickass also.

Now if looking at cordless impacts like in the above link I would totally skip any others and go directly with Snapon's 18v.Do not get Lithium Ion batteries,no power when the temps drop below about 55 degrees,I know I had the 28volt version of the above link and it sucked when it got cold.My Snapon cordless is 2-3 times as powerful also,but it does cost $550.

Makita 1/2" LXT is just as strong
I know
the guys at the shop next door thought that their Snapon was the shait
so they hit a 3/4" bolt with all the 1/2" Snapon had to offer and the Makita
took it off
put the same bolt back in with all the Makita had to offer and the Snapon removed it
we decided on a tie
also dont know what kind of Lithium Ion batteries you had
mine work fine down in the 30's and charge faster when it is cold
could be newer technology :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makita 1/2" LXT is just as strong
I know
the guys at the shop next door thought that their Snapon was the shait
so they hit a 3/4" bolt with all the 1/2" Snapon had to offer and the Makita
took it off
put the same bolt back in with all the Makita had to offer and the Snapon removed it
we decided on a tie
also dont know what kind of Lithium Ion batteries you had
mine work fine down in the 30's and charge faster when it is cold
could be newer technology :shrug:
Yeah one tech at my shop has one of the makita's,bought it about a month ago so brand new and can't even take off newer "F" series Ford lugnuts(150lbs-ft) on a fully charged battery.My Snapon is 2 years old,I just had to get 2 new batteries as I use it that much and still has no issues taking off RV lugnuts(300lbs-ft+).My IR air impact looks brand new as it rarely ever needs to be used and I'm just to lazy to pull the airhose down.

Granted I have a 1/4" makita impact and use the hell out of that,come to think of it my 1/4" makita seems to as powerful as the other tech's 1/2" makita.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a 1/2" Chicago Pneumatic for over 15 years, and it is still going strong.

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's not much our shop Dewalt can't handle. It's beat to hell and still kicks but.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah one tech at my shop has one of the makita's,bought it about a month ago so brand new and can't even take off newer "F" series Ford lugnuts(150lbs-ft) on a fully charged battery.My Snapon is 2 years old,I just had to get 2 new batteries as I use it that much and still has no issues taking off RV lugnuts(300lbs-ft+).My IR air impact looks brand new as it rarely ever needs to be used and I'm just to lazy to pull the airhose down.

Granted I have a 1/4" makita impact and use the hell out of that,come to think of it my 1/4" makita seems to as powerful as the other tech's 1/2" makita.

Makita makes 2 different 1/2" impacts
BTW450 = remove the lug nuts from my F250 did it when I got a flat a while back
BTW251 = not so much at only 150 LBFT

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started in the auto repair field back in 81, I had the IR231. All around workhorse. oil it daily, and it lasted about 5 years of daily use in a professional setting. The IR231 was freshened up with a rebuild kit, and lasted another 5 years. Repeat process.

One thing I had on it was a bump cover. The 231 would be repeatedly dragged on the floor, fall off the lift, and just generally abused. The cover helped a great deal in keeping it alive.

I now have the IR 231, 2131, and a DeVilbiss. the IR's will probably last the rest of my life as I do not use them professionally any more. The devilbiss is a good tool, but no where near the power of the others.

It all depends on what you are going to do with them.

Also, it if is pnuematic you are going for, do not skimp on the airline filter and separator. Water and moisture will not prolong the life of any tool.

When building a diff on a D80 or 110, I will step up to the Snapon 3/4 drive for the carrier bearings, as it will make the job go faster.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started in the auto repair field back in 81, I had the IR231. All around workhorse. oil it daily, and it lasted about 5 years of daily use in a professional setting. The IR231 was freshened up with a rebuild kit, and lasted another 5 years. Repeat process.

One thing I had on it was a bump cover. The 231 would be repeatedly dragged on the floor, fall off the lift, and just generally abused. The cover helped a great deal in keeping it alive.

I now have the IR 231, 2131, and a DeVilbiss. the IR's will probably last the rest of my life as I do not use them professionally any more. The devilbiss is a good tool, but no where near the power of the others.

It all depends on what you are going to do with them.

Also, it if is pnuematic you are going for, do not skimp on the airline filter and separator. Water and moisture will not prolong the life of any tool.

When building a diff on a D80 or 110, I will step up to the Snapon 3/4 drive for the carrier bearings, as it will make the job go faster.
My 1st IR Titanium impact lasted 10 years,bought on '00 and was pretty weak by '10,and bought a new one in '10.Great impacts and my 1st IR Titanium did go through 2 deployments along with my 1st Snapon cordless impact,both OIF I and OEF V/VI.

bjs2063

Reaction score
I bought the harbor freight earthquake, of course its made in china but so are some of the snapons anymore. For doing my own repairs, I use it maybe once a month and its a beast for $89. I think its got max of 625ft-lbs torque. Seems nice quality and have yet to find a fastener it couldn't bust loose. I would have prefered the IR Titanium its got more torque (780) but it also cost $260. I just couldn't justify for the amount I use it. If you have the money get the IR.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are any of these USA made? If I'm going to spend the $300 on one, I'd rather do $400 for an American built one.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not one,US made tools have been long gone for like 20-30 years.

Yeah I figured....I did see that Craftsmen brought something lines back into the US, might have sockets, I can't remember
Maybe the cardboard in the packaging is made from USA grown trees?

....and recycled with equipment made in China... :disgust:

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IR titatium all the way ....

Use to be a profesional mechanic...i'used mine everyday 8 hours a day since 6 years and still working like a charm!!!

Latest posts

Members online