08 liberty ac burnt plastic smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sergeptx

Reaction score
Hey Guys, sorry if this has been discussed but I was driving my 08 Liberty Sport on the highway with ac on high. I've had problems like any other liberty where the ac blows cold and then suddenly hot and then cold, but this time the ac had a burnt plastic smell and now it only blows hot air. The ac was just charge with freon so i dont think thats the problem. Do you have any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.

sergeptx

Reaction score
Thanks Marlon, I'll check it out tomorrow. Do you know where I can find the blend doors and is it and easy fix

Last edited:

sergeptx

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
I notice that the compressor does not kick in. checked the pressure switchand looks like the connector was replaced with a different one because the wires are spliced and they are different than the ones on the harness.

mgsntx

Reaction score
cabin smells can come from the engine compartment. could be the ac clutch coil burnt out. you could put a meter on the coil control wire to see if voltage is present. (engine running and AC on.) Also you could touch the coil connector with a 12 volt connected wire to see if it pulls in. this can be done with engine off and a wire directly from the battery +. I would disconnect the coil wire from the IPM to insure you dont damage any circuits. by the way, I am not a certified mechanic!

mgsntx

Reaction score
Hey Guys, sorry if this has been discussed but I was driving my 08 Liberty Sport on the highway with ac on high. I've had problems like any other liberty where the ac blows cold and then suddenly hot and then cold, but this time the ac had a burnt plastic smell and now it only blows hot air. The ac was just charge with freon so i dont think thats the problem. Do you have any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Use a multimeter to check for continuity on the low pressure switch(freon) if its open then you either have a bad switch or no freon. you may also be mistaking the burnt wire smell for freon.

sergeptx

Reaction score
Thanks for your help
so, I took the kj to a mechanic, he spent a whole weekend trying to figure out the problem and came to the conclusion that the compressor gave out. This was a year ago. The ac worked all summer until August and then hot air. He had mentioned that the serpentine belt seemed a little too tight. They had trouble removing and replacing it. Would that have something to do with it. I not to good at electrical but I did a quick multimeter check on the pressure switch with ac on. The compressor kicked in for a second then out. waited five minutes and nothing. Tried again and kicked in for a second and then nothing. Could it be the switch not send signal? I'm so frustrated and it's getting hot here in Texas. I would greatly appreciate your help.