07 seats in an 02 now airbag light on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
So I took the cloth seats out of my 07 and put them in my buddies 02 since his seats were shot.

His 02 seats just had the 4 wires on the drivers side, 2 for seat belt and the other 2 for the power option. Passenger side just has the 2 for the seat belt.

my 07 had the wiring there for the airbag sensor on the passenger seat, but i removed all that and left just the wiring for the seat belt.

drivers side everything looked the same..

I'm at a loss here, can't figure out why the airbag light is on.

Would the seat belts retracting cause it?

my only other option would be to install the old seats see if the light goes out, then swap the seat brackets over from seat to seat.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Airbag light is on because you removed the wiring for the airbag sensor.

In this case I'd have just swapped the seats, not the seats and frames / wiring, etc.

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
I put 07 seats in an 02, the 02 doesn't have the sensor in the seats, so i removed that from the 07 seats.

Haven't swapped frames yet. But I might put the old seats in, see if light goes out, then just leave the brackets and swap the seats

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, if you didn't make any changes to the wiring on the 02 i don't know why you would be seeing an airbag light..

Like on my 03' the seats have nothing to do with the airbag system, just a switch through the seatbelt latch to warn you if your seatbelt is latched or not.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Unless it's a mere coincidence that there is something wrong with the system (not in the seat wiring) that popped up after you swapped seats out...

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple times that the airbag light for my passenger seat was on. I don't know what thats about.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have an 02,airbag light been on for several months now-sometimes it takes awhile to come on other times soon as starts. You'll get used to it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Did you put the wiring in the '02 seats?

I mean if everything isn't plugged in like how it was before, you'll get that airbag light... since the seat IS part of the airbag system and cannot detect whether someone is in the seat or not, which determines whether the passenger side front airbag fires or not.

I'd say if everything is plugged in like how it was before, disconnect the battery to reset the computer.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you put the wiring in the '02 seats?

I mean if everything isn't plugged in like how it was before, you'll get that airbag light... since the seat IS part of the airbag system and cannot detect whether someone is in the seat or not, which determines whether the passenger side front airbag fires or not.
'02's do not have that ability,that did not come around till like the '04 KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the 02 seats back in the 02 jeep and see if the lights go out. If they do then something is up with the seats. If not, pay a dealership an hour to give you the code for that air bag which will tell you why its on. My passenger seat also has a sensor in the seat belt itself. I know this b/c it went bad.

Just curious, what are you going to put in your 07?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ThunderbirdJunkie pulled his passenger seat, airbag light was on until it was replaced.
Because the seat belt switch was not plugged in.On a '02-'03 KJ the seat belt switch has to be tripped(seat belt latched) for the passenger side airbag to armed.No weight sensor though on a '02 KJ,just the seat belt latch switch.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Right

But the airbag light is still on because the wiring doesn't match from 02 seats to 07 seats.

It doesn't see the seatbelt plug as being there

cdnjeepin

Reaction score
Ok,

02 does NOT have a seat sensor.. just the seat belt switch.

Here was the problem.

on the 02 body wiring, the wire feeds were on different terminals then the 07 seat plug, on the drivers side. The passenger side was the same.

The problem lied with the seat belt buckle itself, they must have changed something in the switch over the years.

I took the seat belt buckles off the 02 seats with the wiring, plugged those in and the lights went out.

Had to take the 07 seat belt buckle off the seats and put the 02 seat belt buckles on. Once I did that the light went out, seat belt light worked properly then.

Odd problem, but now its fixed