06 CRD Recall Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugash

Reaction score
Three days ago I received a telephone call from the dealer informing me that my recently purchased 06 Liberty CRD had been recalled. They told me they had to update the software in the car's computer to improve the performance of the torque converter.

While my car had no problems that I was aware of, I took the CRD into the dealer for the upgrade as requested.

When I returned to the dealer to pick up my car... they informed me that something went wrong when they were updating the computer and now the car is dead and will need to remain at the dealers until they replace my cars engine control computer and the transmission control computer. This could take a week or more.

Has anyone else heard about this recall? It was not on the jeep site as a recall! If your jeep is recalled, I would think twice before allowing the dealer to perform the service unless they have a track record of successful similar work. I am really bummed out!

I'd like to hear your stories about this.

Bob Bugash

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK first just sit there and listen before going to the links that I have posted below. You could read them and easily over react and think that you got a bad deal. You didn't!!! [-(

The problem your dealer contacted you on is not a recall but a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). You may have the only dealer in the world who contacted a customer about this and that speaks highly for your dealer.

Lets go over the individual CRD issues:

1) The firmware in the Liberty's control module was not programmed to optimize the shift points and there have been several TSB's on this. Unfortunately if your dealer screws up in downloading the updates they will blow up the control module which is what happened to you. This is the post relating to that issue:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6761

2) There is a more serious issue with certain TRANSMISSION build dates and bad filters. I would mention this to the dealer while he has yours. Since he seems to be on top of things then I would bet that if yours is in this batch he will fix it for you. If he says it isn't in the build dates crawl under the drivers side when you get it back, write down the number and check it for yourself. Here is the topic relating to that:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7918

3) This last problem is not covered by a TSB or a recall and is not limited to the CRD but apparently is an issue for VW and other diesel manufactures. There are after market fixes but you need to prove to the dealer that it is a problem and get his approval so he doesn't try to blame the fix on other problems later and void your warranty. The problem as I understand it is the emmissions system is designed to pull crankcase fumes up through the intercooler and then back through the turbo. Unfortunately it also can pul oil out of the crankcase. If you ask the dealer if this could happen he will likely say no. If you ask if it would be a bad thing if it did he would probably say yes. At that point I would ask him to pull the inter cooler inlet hose off and inspect it. It will be coated with oil on the inside. That hose is the big top one on the passenger side of the radiator. The radiator hose is below it. As the dealer stands there slack jawed ask him if he will void the warranty if you fix the problem with an after market product.

You have purchased a great product if you tinker just a little with it and stay on top of the TSB's. When your friends are searching for gas this summer you can give them a wink and filler up with Wesson oil!

bugash

Reaction score
Thanks

I appreciate your thorough reply and links to help me understand what is going on related to my CRD. I hope the dealer can repair the damage he has done when he screwed up the download!

Bob

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fix is easy it just takes a few days for the part, basically a new computer. They will just plug it in for you with all new programming and away you go. It could have happened on a gasser or any other manufacture too except my '49 Ford. you seem to be blessed with a good dealer too, except for the guy who does the programming!!! (whistle) :-& ](*,)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang in their Bob. I'm jealous that I don't have a CRD! #-o I test drove one and loved it... (biggrin)

2003KJ

Reaction score
You definately have a good dealer...lol. I'd go back to them for any kind of major service you need. Sounds like just a simple case of "woops" and they're admitting their screw up and fixing it for you. Did they offer you a rental at all? I don't think it would be out of line to ask for one while your Jeep is layed up in their shop.

bugash

Reaction score
Nice Dealer

The dealer has ordered new electronics and hopefully they will make it right. The dealer gave me a loaner car - a new jeep liberty - to use while mine is out of commission. I also learned about the possible defect in the transmission tsb 21-007-06 in my research about my problem, and the dealer is going to take care of that problem too while they have the car.

I would not have known about any of these issues if it were not for the great folks that take part in this forum. Thank you all who contribute.

I only hope I can repay the favor in the future.

Bob Bugash