05 - ****** Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
If I let the jeep sit for 8 hours or so, sometimes it shifts into drive a little rough. This is from park, and it'll take about an extra second or so to engage, then kind of thumps into gear. Other than this once each morning, it shifts nice.

Its 05 3.7 sport, ~47k.

The stealership recommended I get the ****** fluid flushed last time I was there.

Any ideas? Anybody have a similar issue?

Thanks.

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engament system on the ****** usually takes a second or two to shift from park to drive or to reverse. It happens on mine and it happens on quite a few of other members on this forum.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. i will be getting the fluid flushed hopefully with filter during my next oil change.

glad to hear others have somewhat similar issues that dont appear to be a large concern.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure if you get it done at the dealer they will use the right fluid but make sure its ATF+4 if you get it done anywhere else.. On second thought, make sure the dealer uses the right fluid. :)

Mine usually only shifts rough(into D from P, etc), if the ****** is cold, IE, in the winter(>40F).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure if you get it done at the dealer they will use the right fluid but make sure its ATF+4 if you get it done anywhere else.. On second thought, make sure the dealer uses the right fluid. :)

Mine usually only shifts rough(into D from P, etc), if the ****** is cold, IE, in the winter(>40F).

Yes this is very important.

Mine only shifts rough in the winter also. (and only the first time). After that it is smoothe. Mine is an 05.

Dave

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. It will be done at the dealership, but it never hurts to double-check with them.

Mine also happens just once from P to D, although it hasn't gotten too cold here in Iowa yet. It will be coming soon though...

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does shift a little rougher in the winter but its pretty similar to how it shifts in the summer. Done it since I got it and zero problems with mine, although I have the 45RFE ****** and you have the 42RLE ****** so it may be different. I forgot to say that in my earlier post.