05 Liberty Renegade Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as a bad valve seat goes, they can come and go. The valves spin when the engine is running and it can and will spin to a bad spot that won't seal correctly

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as a bad valve seat goes, they can come and go. The valves spin when the engine is running and it can and will spin to a bad spot that won't seal correctly

Out of curiosity how much was your engine?

Mk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how much was your engine?

Mk

3800$ installed. 3 hours away from my home they came and picked it up. Came with a 100,000 mile warranty for life for 69$ a year. First time got it back it was ticking and leaking oil from the valve covers and spun the main bearing. They came all the way back picked it up put another engine In it and got it back leaking again and ticking. They came picked it up again and finally listened to me when I said check the wrist pins after installing different heads for 2 weeks. Got it back and no problems. I drive like I stole it and she purrs

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3800$ installed. 3 hours away from my home they came and picked it up. Came with a 100,000 mile warranty for life for 69$ a year. First time got it back it was ticking and leaking oil from the valve covers and spun the main bearing. They came all the way back picked it up put another engine In it and got it back leaking again and ticking. They came picked it up again and finally listened to me when I said check the wrist pins after installing different heads for 2 weeks. Got it back and no problems. I drive like I stole it and she purrs

Was that a local builder or a online remanufacture?

Mk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that a local builder or a online remanufacture?

Mk

Local. They came and picked up my jeep.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local. They came and picked up my jeep.

Yeah figured that part I just was asking if they built it or sourced a remanufactured engine from a builder

Mk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah figured that part I just was asking if they built it or sourced a remanufactured engine from a builder

Mk

They built it

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had to take it in and they think it's bad valves. The guy said they were getting mis fires on multiple cylinders. The injectors, plugs, coil packs, fuel pressure all checked out like I thought they would. If it is bad valves; wouldn't I have had more steady issues or signs it's not running right? It hasn't overheated, or lost coolant.

Mk

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ran perfect with multiple misfires, The dealer found the problem with their computer otherwise I was changing things that was not needed, I also thought the 04 year was the last year of valve issues..

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is who looked at it today I'm going to try and see if I can get another mechanic to look at it. They reset the check engine light and I drive it home (40 miles) and the light hasn't come on. Was your light intermittent or would your misfire pop up again? The guy said miss fires on 6 with intermittent on 4,5

I'm at ~82k miles should I just get a new engine put in? Any recommendations for places to source a new engine?

Mk

Last edited:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is who looked at it today I'm going to try and see if I can get another mechanic to look at it. They reset the check engine light and I drive it home (40 miles) and the light hasn't come on. Was your light intermittent or would your misfire pop up again? The guy said miss fires on 6 with intermittent on 4,5

I'm at ~82k miles should I just get a new engine put in? Any recommendations for places to source a new engine?

Mk

DO NOT USE Advanced Powertrain Solutions. Their engines are crap and their 100K warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT USE Advanced Powertrain Solutions. Their engines are crap and their 100K warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Amy suggestions where to look? The jeep dealer could get a engine for 4100 and 1300 to install with as they said "few other things will be needed" and they couldn't tell me if it was re manufactured engine or what. From what I gathered all the replacements I'm looking at are going to be reman's and not truly new. I'm just nervous about reman's because I've always heard of a lot of problems. But even at that I'm going to have another mechanic look at it because the guy suspected it was leaking valves.

I may be off based but wouldn't leaking valves produce consistent misfires? One thing that makes me doubt their diagnosis ability is the tech said he was seeing misfires but they are so intermittent I don't know how he could. I drove it 100 miles total yesterday after they were done and I didn't get any misfires or check engine lights. But I could be way off I'm by no means a expert I just thought that with a leaking valve it would be a fairly consistent check engine light would come on after it got reset

Mk

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light would keep coming back, At 82k I would not get a new engine, I would just repair what is needed, I have near 200k now on my KJ and it's been perfect,

To bad you didn't live closer - I have a Mopar mechanic that would repair and re-install the heads for less than $ 500.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light would keep coming back, At 82k I would not get a new engine, I would just repair what is needed, I have near 200k now on my KJ and it's been perfect,

To bad you didn't live closer - I have a Mopar mechanic that would repair and re-install the heads for less than $ 500.

The reason I was looking at that route the dealer was 3800 to repair heads that includes labor

Mk

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some prices are outrageous today, Definitely shop around and not be in a hurry - mine ran smooth with the misfires. I also wonder how many misfires are acceptable and how many to trip the light and can they re-program the computer to a higher setting ever.

I'll try to find the repair receipt to see exactly what was replaced on mine when they removed the heads, The job only took 1 day with the parts..

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some prices are outrageous today, Definitely shop around and not be in a hurry - mine ran smooth with the misfires. I also wonder how many misfires are acceptable and how many to trip the light and can they re-program the computer to a higher setting ever.

I'll try to find the repair receipt to see exactly what was replaced on mine when they removed the heads, The job only took 1 day with the parts..

Thanks, yeah I'm going to have another mechanic look at it see if they think it's the same thing. For the heads they said it would take 12 hours labor same as if the engine had to be replaced and it would take atleast two days because they use a machine shop for it. I wonder to how many misfires it takes to trip the check engine light. Thanks for checking on what the shop did to fix your

Mk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a good reman you'll be fine. Make sure it's a long block. Comes with everything except accessories

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay - from my paperwork 7 years ago, Misfire codes p0301,p0302,p0306 , checked engine compression, has internal engine problem, removed cylinder heads to diagnose further - found intake valves pitted, replaced valves and cleaned exhaust valves and lapped all valves, reassemble and reinstall heads, Covered under 7/70 warranty.

This was done at a large jeep dealership here in CT. Had 57,000 miles at that time now have close to 200k and all is well..

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep developed a random misfire on #2 that came and went for a month or so before dropping #2 intake valve seat. It would happen on cold start ups at first and I would always have to restart engine a few times before it would clear up. The last time it misfired I lost compression on #2 and in went a 2012 engine with 10k miles. I'd opt for a low mileage used engine which can be had a day long for 1500 or less if you find yours needs replacing.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just giving a update. I took it to another mechanic and he's confident it was build up, he ran some fuel system cleaner through it. So far so good, no misfires been about ~ 300 miles now without any problem. Fingers crossed

Mk

Members online

No members online now.