'04 Liberty doesn't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vtham

Reaction score
Hello There: Need your expert advise. My '04 liberty(key-less entry) doesn't start - below is what I did.
I removed the battery negative, replaced multi function switch(as inside doom lights were turning on randomly) and then cleaned the battery connectors and made a tight fit. All electrical systems are working fine - just wont start. When trying to start all I hear is rapid clicking. Tried to start with booster cables - no luck :(
Please help!

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have any way of doing a charging system check, then do it. Constant clicking is a possible starter, but could also be a weak battery. Check the date on your battery, if it's more than 5 years old then it probably needs replacement. You can get as good of a connection as any, but a weak battery or faulty connection will not allow the vehicle to turn over. Could also get under there with a hammer and tap the starter while someone tries to turn her over.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get that battery tested. Sounds like a battery to me

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vtham

Reaction score
thank you guys! I'm going to get the battery tested( may get a new one). Still wondering why it wouldn't start with booster/jump start.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the battery is shot then that could be the reason. The computer knows how much juice you have. The alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery. It's only there to replace what you use when driving

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vtham

Reaction score
Thank you guys! It was the battery that was bad. Autozone battery check showed the status as bad. Got anew battery - its all set now :)