03 Liberty Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamspy

Reaction score
This may be the wrong section, if so please forgive me. My 2003 Jeep Liberty just broke down. My wife went in the bank, and came back out and it won't crank. It turns over just fine, no problem there. It just won't crank. Anyone have some tips as to where I should start looking?

Thanks

bamspy

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little contradiction here, "it turns over but won't crank", that means it's cranking.

I take you mean it won't 'fire' and start. My guess is your battery is good if it's turning over.

It could be a fuel pump issue. When you turn the key to the 'on' position, but don't crank it, you should hear your fuel pump motor come on for about three seconds. It's not easy to hear if you're in a noisy place, but you should be able to hear it.

Also, check to see if it throws any codes. This can be achieved by:

With jeep off, turn key to on, back to off, on, off, on (three times to on position) and leave it there, and it will show you any P codes the PCM has thrown. If there are no codes, it will just show 'done' in the odometer window.

By "on" that's just where all the dash lights come on, but the starter isn't cranking.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also try putting the transmission into Neutral with ebrake on, and try to start it.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Just remember if you spend to much time just cranking the starter you will kill your battery. I also think it may be a fuel pump issue. But a lot of time fuel pumps will work again after a few hours of sitting. This is not any sort of a permanent "work again" more like just enough to get er home. Also when is the last time the fuel filter was changed. Clogged fuel filters have caused me many issues in many vehicles in my past. Hopefully this is enough to get your brain engaged!!! Make sure to update.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Not a suggestion I've heard before please elaborate. I am very intrigued!!!kopkrab.gif

Sometimes the neutral start switch (A switch that keeps the engine srom starting if the vehicle is left in gear) sticks and keeps the engine from firing.
Placing it in neutral effectively does the same thing and bypasses the neutral start switch allowing you to start the engine.
If it will start in neutral, then chances are it is the neutral start switch...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes the neutral start switch (A switch that keeps the engine srom starting if the vehicle is left in gear) sticks and keeps the engine from firing.
Placing it in neutral effectively does the same thing and bypasses the neutral start switch allowing you to start the engine.
If it will start in neutral, then chances are it is the neutral start switch...

Had this happen on a Subaru a few years ago.
WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS THAT WAS

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That also happened to me on my 99 Grand Am. The adjustment between transmisison and key ignition switch got misplaced and i couldnt start the car in P but i could do it in Neutral. Also, it was a pita to get my keys back from the ignition.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on other cars but I know that on a TJ with a TF999 if it is the Neutral
switch then when in park it will be dead in the water
key will turn on and every thing in the Jeep will be happy but the engine will
not turn ,it will start and run just fine in Neutral and will stay running when in park
you can turn it off in park and remove the key but to start it you will have to go to
neutral

That being said you could try starting it in neutral but I doubt it will start

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on other cars but I know that on a TJ with a TF999 if it is the Neutral
switch then when in park it will be dead in the water
key will turn on and every thing in the Jeep will be happy but the engine will
not turn ,it will start and run just fine in Neutral and will stay running when in park
you can turn it off in park and remove the key but to start it you will have to go to
neutral

That being said you could try starting it in neutral but I doubt it will start

X2. I thought the neutral safety switch meant the engine wouldn't even crank. Just *click* and no starter rotation.

I think the OP may have a fuel pump issue.