03 liberty rod knock doing a swap to newer 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obxwrangler

Reaction score
I have a 2003 liberty with a blown engine (lower end rod). 3.7 liter
I have been in and out of all these threads and would like to find a couple more things out.
Is the back of the crankshaft on the o4-05 different than the 03? or is it just the crank sensor ring inside is 16 tooth on the 03 and 32 tooth on the 04-05 engines.
What I am contemplating doing is making a split ring for these to ease the replacement of the newer engine so you dont have to remove the crank.
I am aware of the camshaft gear differences also, as said I have been all through these threads.
Also I stumbled on a thread somewhere (maybe a different site) forgot to bookmark as I was surfing, but it had great pictures of the swap to a newer engine of the crank and the camshaft areas. Anybody maybe know where It might be or have it bookmarked.
Thanks in advance.
Please anybody who has truly had a successful experience with this swap chime in.

obxwrangler

Reaction score
labor

I have a lot of damage to the bottom end. The crank is shot and a couple rods dinged up good from metal.
I can pick a newer engine up for 800 bucks with 53000 miles on it here.
So it would be much cheaper and much less labor to make a split ring so I dont have to remove the crank completely.

bharney

Reaction score
Let me know how this turns out.

I have a low mileage 2007 3.7 V-6 donor car and a 2003 Liberty Limited that needs the engine.

bharney

Reaction score
I just finished swapping a 2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 into my 2003 Jeep Liberty. The old engine was damaged beyond repair and I found a 2007 with low miles that I bought really inexpensively. All that had to be done to do the swap and it runs perfectly was to use the older reluctor ring onto the crankshaft and use the camshaft toner ring. Remove the bushing in the rear of the crankshaft so the auto trans snout will fit, and make a plate to cover the egr valve hole that the newer engine has, but the older engine did not.
Thanks to www.engine-guru.com 616-589-4485 for their advice and their video on youtube.
The Jeep runs great and drives like a dream.