03 Liberty - Overheating - Help Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ofelas

Reaction score
Anyone have the stock and/or “upgraded” ‘03 solid state relays’ part #s handy?

Reaction score
The fan does turn freely and it seems runs smoothly for I’d say at least 10minutes while warming up but refuses to come on again but I’ll see if I can get some wire together.

Thats what mine did also. I expected the fan to fail completely but instead its failing was intermittent and sporadic. I replaced the fan ($110, 10mm bolts, easy!) and everything was perfect after that.

...one year later, I'm now getting P1491. This code seems a little ambiguous to me but could indicate that my relay is bad after-all. The fan seems to be running fine however and I have no-overheating issues. One possible lesson is to replace both the relay and fan together when they go.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
CanBus system. You got to be very careful here. Without an 03 wiring diagram in front of you, I would not mess with it. Bill is in S/Africa, generally comes on later.
I'm not sure how the 03 relay ties into this mess. You don't want to apply power the wrong way & damage the PCM, power train control module sensor wiring.
I'll see if I can find a similar response of Bill's to the fan issue...stand by.

Agreed, CanBus is not for the uninitiated. It is super easy to let the smoke out of the system. (I have some horror stories of non automotive CanBus issues that make me wonder why such a concept was ever put in consumer products)

But, I think some more information is needed here:
When does it overheat? At idle? after a long drive? Going up or down hills? Towing? etc. etc. etc.

Another easy troubleshooting test is to turn the heater on full blast, roll down the windows, and go for a drive to replicate the overheating issues.

Carolyn Twiss

Reaction score
I have an 03 Jeep Liberty that has recently developed an issue overheating. I thought it was the relay so replaced that and the fan still doesn’t come on even at 3/4 on the temp gauge. Now I’m just lost and have no clue. We have let the car run to operating temp and you can see the coolant circulating back into the tank so thermostat seems to be fine, when you start the Jeep cold the fan comes on but then shuts off at about 3/8 on the temp gauge. So no I’m at a loss and use my car for work so I’m stressing quite heavily any help would be appreciated.

Carolyn Twiss

Reaction score
Same problem as 2002 Liberty. Cause:eventually found leak in top of radiator, by accident after total frustration. New radiator cured all. 18 months later: zero problems.

CRDMX

Reaction score
If this is your work vehicle you need a temporary fix asap. I'd suggest disconnecting the fan's supply plug and installing an independent switched circuit between the battery and fan. Until you solve your actual problem, at least it will be driveable without stressing other systems (headgasket, head, etc) by subjecting them to elevated temps.

If your temps spike remember to turn the cabin heater and fan on "High" to draw heat off the coolant system (open windows to stay cool).

If the fan quits while wired directly, there's your culprit.

Payaso65

Reaction score
Very easy to source and self install the heavy duty cooling option on the Liberty. Then you have electric fan and mechanical fan. Peace of mind if one or the other goes out.

djc

Reaction score
I have an 03 Jeep Liberty that has recently developed an issue overheating. I thought it was the relay so replaced that and the fan still doesn’t come on even at 3/4 on the temp gauge. Now I’m just lost and have no clue. We have let the car run to operating temp and you can see the coolant circulating back into the tank so thermostat seems to be fine, when you start the Jeep cold the fan comes on but then shuts off at about 3/8 on the temp gauge. So no I’m at a loss and use my car for work so I’m stressing quite heavily any help would be appreciated.
Had issue with my 06. Radiator cap (reservoir cap) had a small piece of gasget broken off. New cap fixed it. $17.
A year later started over heating again. Radiator (plastic) had hairline leaks in the seams. Only visible when hot because the moisture dryer up so fast. No spot on garage floor. New radiator fixed it all.

Last edited:

efrainmatos

Reaction score
Hello, I am having an overheating problem as well but since I don’t know about this things just found myself not able to remove the fan relay to go buy a new one. Any help on how to remove it properly?

Attachments

• F4217D2C-48E0-44F3-BEFD-63ACF3E3492F.jpeg
    F4217D2C-48E0-44F3-BEFD-63ACF3E3492F.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 9

Carolyn Twiss

Reaction score
I went through the overheating issue with my 2002 Liberty. A long list of tweeks; similar to what a number of Forum people did. Replaced the radiator. Not a single overheating issue since.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These connectors usually have a plastic tab that you have to move in one direction before the plug will come apart.

Your picture seems to show a bent over Brownish plastic Tab....that is probably what you have to manipulate before you can pull the connector apart. I Hate these plastic tabs that Jeep use all over the vehicle....no two plugs are the same....some you slide the tab left or right....other times you have to push or pull it!

I have had to pull apart plenty connectors over the 19 years I have had this Jeep...some times I have given up and removed the Tabs and forced the plug apart!

Hopefully you can buy a new Solid State Relay. The 2003 KJ was the only model to have this type of relay so Breaker yards will not likely have this part.

Does your cooling fan spin smoothly by hand? Maybe the fan itself is seizing up.

You can download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manuals here Section 8W has the Wiring Diagrams.

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am having an overheating problem as well but since I don’t know about this things just found myself not able to remove the fan relay to go buy a new one. Any help on how to remove it properly?

pull the locking tab out. it the locking tab doesn't come out all the way off the connector.

The SSR you have is the old SSR. there's a TSB to replace it with the beefier version.

Latest posts

Members online