'03 Jeep will not turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntrix

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have had a issue for a few days. My issue was at first my serpentine belt broke, and it caused my AC Compressor pulley to seize up. So I decided to bypass the AC Compressor after I removed it. I was able to buy a shortened serpentine belt which was 79.5 inches. I installed the belt, drove it around and my battery light came on, I realized the belt was possibly to big as there was a bit of slack almost hitting where the AC Compressor was.. so I went and got a shorter belt, this time a 74.5 inch belt, I tried installing the belt.. but It was too small. I then swapped back to the 79.5 inch belt, this time and was having 0 issues the battery light was not coming on the dash and it was not making any noise. Well this morning while driving to work the battery light did come back on, got to work.. thought I could re-try the 74.5 inch belt, would not fit.. Re-installed the 79.5 inch belt, went to start the jeep to make sure it wasn't wiggling around to hit the AC Compressor, and the jeep would not turn over. When I try to start the jeep, the radio comes on, the dash, lights on the dash. So I assumed the jeep battery was dying, I got it jumped.. still did the same issue It won't turn over. I checked the relays they seem fine, the fuses seem fine. I tapped the starter with a hammer and tried starting it.. no luck, tried doing a second jump start did not work. went underneath the jeep and there is nothing loose. Anyone have any Idea? It is a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 Automatic. I'm thinking it may be the starter solenoid? Also the motor is not seized up either. I also tried starting it in neutral and it did not work.

Thank you for any advice :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
With battery light on what is the stored code? Try charging the battery overnight.
What is the battery voltage reading, and when you turn key to start position, what is the battery voltage then?
Are the battery terminals free from any corrosion/clean & tight?
Could also try swapping the ASD relay.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as you messed around with the Serpentine belt and the Battery light came on you could have a very flat battery....give it a good charge or have the Battery tested.

Are you sure the Serpentine belt is routed correctly?

Check that the battery terminals are clean and tight, the Green battery cable going to chassis is clean and tight at the chassis and the two engine grounding straps are clean and tight.

Check all leads going to the solenoid/starter are on firmly.

Assuming the motor does not turn over at all try the following.

Start it in Neutral instead of Park in case the Park interlock is failing.

Swap over the Starter Relay under the hood with an identical one nearby.

Check fuse #8 40 Amps under the hood.

Remove the Starter Relay and locate female plugs 30 and 87 inside the empty socket. With the Jeep in Park or Neutral and key in the ignition briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together.

This above procedure overrides the Ignition Switch, the Park and Neutral interlocks and the Stare Relay...if Fuse#8 is OK the engine should turn over if battery is also good.

If it does not turn over there is a good chance that you have the dreaded Actuator Pin Assembly failure.

This is a rectangular rod that when you turn the ignition key to Start rotates the ignition switch. This rod tends to start breaking at its tip...it has enough strength to turn Ignition ON but cannot turn that last few degrees against the ignition switch spring to move to the Start position...if you cannot feel the Spring Action as you move to Start then there is a failure.

You need to remove the two plastic covers over the steering column...two female Torx screws.
Then remove the Ignition Switch off from the steering column...one smaller Torx screw. Older KJs use a normal Torx screw in this position...newer KJs use a Security Female Torx screw which requires a Male Driver with a hole drilled down its inside.

If you see bits of debris fall off the Actuator tip as you remove it then you need a new one...the Dealers do not stock it but you can get one from Dorman.

In the meantime with the Jeep in Park or Neutral and key in the ignition slot you can turn the ignition switch to the Start position by means of a small flat screwdriver and you can drive like this!

huntrix

Reaction score
I was able to get the jeep issue resolved,

I swapped my Serpentine belt from 79.5 inches to 78inches.

Then the issue with the key turning but the engine not starting. At first I did as you said Billwill, I removed the relay on the fuse box, tried starting the jeep with a pair of pliers and someone turning the key in the jeep and it would start.

i went to autozone and got a dorman ignition starter and got help from one of my Sergeants. He ended up getting the part in, and on the old ignition switch, the piece of metal was cracked off on one side. He said it was probably replaced already before in the past.

this is the part I had to replace.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-t...orman-ignition-switch-actuator-pin/295435_0_0

Thank you again everyone for the assistance!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know it was only the ignition actuator !
(kudos to Bill) ;)

Latest posts

Members online