02 liberty a/c clutch problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
I have an 02 liberty sport. Was driving today and started smelling a burning smell. A/c blew warm but then started blowing cold again and smell went away. Then started smelling the burning smell again and a/c would no longer blow cold at all. Hubby looked at it and a/c clutch wasn't engaging. Now I got used to hearing it kick on and off as it was cycling while I was driving and noticed it wasnt doing it today. Any advice appreciated. I have had this car since March and it has 133,000 miles on it. Hubby said I can't drive it cuz it may seize up totally and snap my belt. Tia

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 liberty sport. Was driving today and started smelling a burning smell. A/c blew warm but then started blowing cold again and smell went away. Then started smelling the burning smell again and a/c would no longer blow cold at all. Hubby looked at it and a/c clutch wasn't engaging. Now I got used to hearing it kick on and off as it was cycling while I was driving and noticed it wasnt doing it today. Any advice appreciated. I have had this car since March and it has 133,000 miles on it. Hubby said I can't drive it cuz it may seize up totally and snap my belt. Tia

Turn the car on and put A/C on max. With the vehicle running take something long and hit the compressor clutch. If it kicks on, you need a new clutch kit for the compressor. However it's recommended to just get a new compressor. You're probably lookin at one of a few things: the magnet is worn out between the clutch and compressor. The magnet works by an electrical signal that causes the magnet to engage against the clutch, or its seized up entirely. Giving that you smelled something burning, that's what it sounds like to me.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Remove the air con Clutch Relay from the fuse/relay box under the hood....the locations of the relays are on the lid of the relay box.

Then with ignition ON briefly jumper pins 30 and 87 together inside the socket....you should hear the clutch engage/disengage while you touch the jumper on and off and should see and feel the air con clutch operating.

This is what it should normally do unless you are low on refrigerant so the Air con Clutch Relay will not energize as the Refrigerant Low Sensor will not allow it to do so....hence why no cooling action!

Try running the Jeep with the Relay removed...the clutch should stay disengaged so you will get no cooling but provided the clutch has disengaged fully...you can at least drive the Jeep in the meantime.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
He took the clutch off and seen that my clutch bearing is no good it has fallen apart we just don't know what to do.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
We bought a new bearing we will see if that works. The ac clutch itself is not seized up it still spins when mover by hand. Any advice appreciated. If this ain't the problem then we will move on to another thing.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
We got the ac clutch to work my jumping the relay and then discovered the ac clutch fuse was blown, we out a new one in and the ac clutch was running but not cycling on and off like it was before. Well drove it for about 20 miles to the next town and was sitting at a red light and the ac stopped blowing cold again, pulled into a parking lot checked the fuse and it was blown again. What is causing this???

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the ac clutch to work my jumping the relay and then discovered the ac clutch fuse was blown, we out a new one in and the ac clutch was running but not cycling on and off like it was before. Well drove it for about 20 miles to the next town and was sitting at a red light and the ac stopped blowing cold again, pulled into a parking lot checked the fuse and it was blown again. What is causing this???

I have replied to this in the new Post that you have opened.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch coil could be shorted... it would be one of the parts you removed when inspecting the bearing.

Latest posts

Members online