02 Liberty 3.7L Petrol Died, Cranks No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tminihan

Reaction score
3.7L petrol, 130k miles. Liberty died while driving home. It would start and run as long as I feathered the gas. One mile down the road it died again. With it in neutral and ignition on (engine not running) the tach was erratic and I could hear something under the hood. I opened the hood, still with ignition on, engine not running, I could hear and feel fuel in the fuel rails, like the pump was cycling. During continued efforts to start the engine, fuel began spilling from the tailpipe. I tried removing the fuel pump fuse - no change. Everything stops when the key is moved to the off position. Thoughts?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pump problem. A fuel rail pressure test will be necessary.
Scan for codes as well. Did the engine light come on while it was sputtering/stalling?
Visual inspection of spark plugs/ replacement may be in order as well.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to replace the spark plugs at this point. They are fuel-soaked and they just don't clean up after that, not sure why.

Fuel pump/pressure regulator/injector issue of some kind. You will need to check the catalytic converter operation, too, as unburnt fuel tends to melt the catalyst.

tminihan

Reaction score
Started up fine this morning, seemed to burn off the gas for 5min or so then ran clean. Code is a 0725. Started again an hour later, still running a little rough but code hasn't returned. I'll start with the CPS and go from there unless advised otherwise.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a p0320 which I only switched the CKP.
I didn't get the memo to switch both CKP and CPS.
so maybe switch the CKP too if you're doing the CPS?

tminihan

Reaction score
Ok, so I changed out the CPS. Same condition, jeep stalls, tach going crazy with engine not running, fuel pump cycling...PO320 code - CPS. I put a MOPAR unit in. I will do the CKP tonight. Any thoughts? How do I check the computer (PCM)? Getting desperate. Thanks, Tom

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When I hear tach going crazy I also begin to wonder about the battery.
Jeep can do some really irregular stuff when battery is kaput.
What is volt reading on battery, had it load tested lately? Charging Voltage out going into battery ok?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tminihan

Reaction score
So I've done the CKP now. I did the same 10 mile circuit that I did after changing the CPS and no issues. I'll take the jeep to work tomorrow and see how a longer trip goes. I did not do the plugs but I will this weekend as a precaution. No load test on the battery, 12.5v engine off, 14.5v with engine on. I do clear the codes each time the MIL comes on. Is the ECM the same as the PCM? I'll price out a battery this weekend as well. Thanks for the advice.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've done the CKP now. I did the same 10 mile circuit that I did after changing the CPS and no issues. I'll take the jeep to work tomorrow and see how a longer trip goes. I did not do the plugs but I will this weekend as a precaution. No load test on the battery, 12.5v engine off, 14.5v with engine on. I do clear the codes each time the MIL comes on. Is the ECM the same as the PCM? I'll price out a battery this weekend as well. Thanks for the advice.

The gassers use a PCM while the CRD uses an ECM.

While you have your voltmeter over the battery check how low the voltage drops while cranking...if it goes down to about 9 volts you have a bad battery for sure!

tminihan

Reaction score
So the jeep made it through the day w/out stalling, so I think the CPS and CKP have corrected the issue. On to the next step - I live in the middle of Australia, usually takes a week to get next day mail. The Jeep has stranded my wife/kids four times now (water pump, valve spring, CPS/CKP x 2). If I keep this vehicle, what are the recommendations for on-hand spares? Belts, batteries, sparkplugs I can get locally. I'm thinking radiator hoses, alternator, fuel pump, etc. What are typical failures I need to look out for? It has approximately 130k miles. Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator for sure. At the end of their life they spring a leak in the top right.

Latest posts

Members online