'02 Jeep Liberty: Opinion wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milo Ouroboros

Reaction score
I found a jeep liberty via craigslist for sale and I am considering buying it (my first vehicle)

They were asking 2900, I knocked it down to $2200
- 2 wheel drive only
- Daughter owned/drove it for 7 years
-197K miles

I will be having it looked at on Tuesday by a mechanic. Known issue right now is one of the back windows doesn't go down.

My main question is 2WD....will this screw me if I want to go off roading? I don't want to do anything too extreme but maybe a little minor/basic off-roading

You must be registered for see images attach

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seat is ROUGH. Wow.

For every 2WD, there are 10 4WD KJs. If you want to wheel...do it right. 2WD will be fine on some rocks and dirt road but nothing crazy.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you want to do any offroading, get a 4x4. You'll always regret not getting one. 2wd will handle dirt roads ok but anything muddy or rocky or steep you'll want 4WD.

That one looks beat to me. I think you can do better for a little more money. If that spot on the street is where it was usually parked, it must be a leaker.

If it comes back with a clean bill of health from the mechanic, it's probably ok, if you're not going for a 4WD one.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How many people over the last 10-12-14 years have came on the forums and said " I bought a 2 wheel drive , but now wish I had 4 wheel drive"
Now with that said I've always wanted to build up a 2 wheel for fun on the road , but thats all it would be good for. pavement only

IMO buy a 4x4
plus like mentioned that one has a lot of issues that are shown in the pics

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would not be worth buying unless you can get all the maintenance records from when it was bought new till now. It could be a fun beater jeep, but I would not even try and off road with it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya North Carolina gets some snow and for that reason alone 4WD please !
I have used 4x4 so many times, it is so much safer in winter, with good tires of course.
You want 4WD for off road, a little mud and RWD= you are stuck in the muck! :sad72:
Spend a bit more & try to find a cleaner 4X4 would be a good :deal::icon_smile:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 only, especially for a Jeep. Just my opinion.

Dave

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mileage alone would keep me from paying that much for an 02 2WD Liberty . There are nice 4X4 Liberty's of that vintage in my area with a lot fewer miles in the $3,000 & less range .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 03 I got last year with 78,000 miles, all service records, one owner was less than double what he is considering offering, that was tax /title etc out the door
Thats a 1000 maybe

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a jeep liberty via craigslist for sale and I am considering buying it (my first vehicle)

They were asking 2900, I knocked it down to $2200
- 2 wheel drive only
- Daughter owned/drove it for 7 years
-197K miles

I will be having it looked at on Tuesday by a mechanic. Known issue right now is one of the back windows doesn't go down.

My main question is 2WD....will this screw me if I want to go off roading? I don't want to do anything too extreme but maybe a little minor/basic off-roading

I've had a 2wd libby for years now, and gotta say.. you're gunna want to go 4wd.
The 2wd is capable of some offroading, but in every trail there will be a point where you stop and go...shit.. now I have to reverse through everything I just dug myself into.
And once she's stuck...she's stuck. I've got mine to dig out of a lot of pinches, but the point is that if it was 4wd, I wouldn't have had to.

From the looks of it, mostly just needs a seat and steering wheel but the drips on the street could be cause for concern if it's not from washing it then parking there (look at the tires, she's newly washed) also that there's no discoloration to the drips, not oil or trans fluid.. leaving it to be likely power steering or coolant so could be easily fixable.

But with all that said, even though i kinda like the way it looks, my finally opinion/advice is don't get it. Find a 4wd liberty that is worth the money you'd have to dump into that one just to keep it going.. mines at 207k so trust me..things go lol.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it really lies in what he wants to do with it. If he wants to wheel it, then he will always want the 4WD.

Now if he just wanted a DD and not something to do harder trails with, 2WD would be dandy.

FWIW, back when I lived in FL I had a 2wd Durango with a Hemi. Kind of regretted not getting 4wd, always kind of want to have it just in case. But then I could do a sick burnout with it and that made it ok. It worked out fine, but then again I never intended to wheel it lol.

In any case, that KJ doesn't give me good vibes.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It's definitely a good idea to have the 4wd as an option.
As a 2wd liberty owner, I'll be the first to admit it's limitations and even ride out on the trails with you to show you what it is, and isnt, capable of.... but that DEFINITELY does NOT mean that he wouldn't be happy with 2wd.

Throughout my first 2 years of college while commuting 130 miles minimum a day, I killed an 05 taurus, 97 mustang, and put a 09 s60 on its last leg.....but what outlasted all of them, what was there when the others kicked it??? My 2wd liberty.....so needless to say, I AM happy with my 2wd. (biggthumpup)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, I didn't think that this Jeep looks beat at all... that drivers seat sure has been though. I dont see visible rust on the rocker panels, the wheels arent peeling clear coat and all oxidized, tires look new(er).

Only thing though, being a 2WD and having 200k miles precludes the slightest chance that I'd ever pay over $2000 for it... that's a $1500 Jeep to me, tops.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 2500 out the door for a 4wd 03 w/ 130k almost 4 months ago. Keep looking.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My preference would be 4x4. I said this before but I want to expand. That is me. But you are you. If you do not want to go off-road or live where 4x4 could be useful then 2wd is for you. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks/wants. Do what you want.

Only one thing to remember is that 2wd shouldn't have been taken/used off-road so might have less wear and tear. Not always true but needs to be checked out carefully. Be sure you subtract enough off the amount asked because it is worth less and you don't want to pay a 4x4 price for a 2x4. Everybody selling a 2wd Jeep just looks at the highest used values which includes 4x4 because it is a Jeep.

Dave