02 HVAC Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some minor issues with HVAC on my 02. I have not started digging into it yet but in case there are common Libby issues with these and known solutions I thought I'd ask before I start pulling things apart. My AC works great and I think my heat works great (really haven't needed heat since I got it though) but the 2 annoying issues are:

1) On fan setting 1 there is basically no flow out the vents. To get any cooling I need to go to fan setting 2 which after a while is too cold and unnecessarily loud. Dropping the fan setting to 1 is essentially like turning the fan off and things quickly get too warm. What do I need to do to get setting 1 to actually provide a little airflow?

2) When it's cool but sunny out I don't want to have to use AC but with the temp **** all the way to the coldest setting and AC off I still get warm air (much warmer than outside or inside the vehicle). What's the most likely problem here? Blend door busted or warped? Actuator not strong enough? Something else? And are the actuators electrically or vacuum operated? (if the latter I guess I'd target a vacuum leak or bad diaphragm first).

Thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When stopped, is there air coming out on speed 1? Its a fairly common issue for the resistor pack to go bad and you may have actually lost speed 1. The air you feel coming out may just be while moving, so see if the air comes out when stopped.

Its most likely pulling air in from the engine bay, not much you can do about it. It pulls the air in from the cowl area at the bottom of the windshield.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. There doesn't seem to be any flow out of the vents on setting 1, even when moving. So where is the resistor pack and what would I need to replace to fix it?

I really think I have air flow accross the heater core causing the warm air in problem 2). If it's 60 degrees out and I'm doing highway speeds I still get warm (MUCH more than 60 degrees) coming in the vents with the **** turned all the way to cold. Pretty sure I should be getting cool air in that situation, even from the cowl.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this the resistor pack you mention JeepJeepster?

You must be registered for see images attach

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a resistor module ordered. Looks like a very simple install behind the glovebox too. Thanks JeepJeepster.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, thats it. You can order a mopar unit for a 2001-2004 chrysler sebring and they are suppose to be more robust.

I think this is it.

You could have an actuator issue. Mine will put out 'warm' air if I stop very long. If I start out with a cold engine, the air will stay cool while on the highway. Anytime I stop, it will get warm and stay warm. I unhooked speed #4 and use it as a vent....

JeepLegend

Kj Legend
Reaction score
Replace your resistor and blower motor.
Blower motor drawing to much amps taking out the resistor. If you just replace the resistor, it will go bad again.