02 AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potassium

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I'm new to being registered with this forum although I've been using ya for 5 years for repairs on my girl. I wanna get other folks' feedback on my current situation.

About a week ago my jeep started making a squeaking noise while driving and I had a rough idle. I went poking around checking for a reason and found the noise was coming from my ac compressor. I took the belt off and checked all the pulleys just to make sure that it was in fact the ac. It was, so I figured I would order a new clutch and replace it when I could (I haven't used my ac since I found the source of the noise), but yesterday when I went up to the store (3 miles) it seized. I first noticed that I didn't hear the squeaking, then came the smell and next the smoke. I pulled into a parking lot, popped the hood and smoke was coming off the ac clutch (actually burned through the belt).

So, my plan is to buy a shorter belt and bypass the ac, until the parts come in and I can replace the clutch. I have to drive roughly 300 miles before I will be able to do this though. Do y'all think it wise and safe to do that without repairing the problem?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most serpentine belts can't be run and bypass any pulley. It'll hit a nonmoving part somewhere. Best of luck with the attempt, though.

Bob