CRD lift pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abhester3

Reaction score
Anyone know which model Dodge Cummins in-tank lift pump fits the Liberty? How 'bout some wiring hints? The dealer/warranty are useless with this vacuum leak in the fuel system business, time to fix the vehicle before I'm killed being rear-ended after it stalls...

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also on LOST is the part number for the new fuel head - they work fairly well
(no one's reported a fail yet) and you can get it from Mopar Parts America for ~$100 filter included.

abhester3

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Lost seems to be lost but I found the parts numbers, 56050284AB for the '05 gas wiring harness and 5143160AA for the Dodge Diesel tank module, billkayparts.com had them for $166.66 shipped. I'm sure they can be found for less but it was time to get the stuff on the way before I become roadkill.:eek: The later type fuel filter head/housing was installed just a short time ago and has had the heater plug disconnected most of the time (that pesky dealer, they'll plug it back in every time). Looks to be a straightforward operation, like changing any in-tank pump only swapping the harness too. The fuel light came on this morning so I parked it in the barn awaiting the parts...

abhester3

Reaction score
Update: Ya might want to avoid billkayparts.com, it's a WEEK later and no parts yet. Phoned them, they explain the pump actually costs $185, blah, blah, basically they didn't follow up w/ contact though they now claim they left a message :confused:... They also tell me they'll call right back but never do, typical internet sales dept deal, the part is actually coming from somewhere else and their cooperation is required. This morning I'll call some salvage yards about the harness and, if I find one, buy the $185 pump from the local Autozone.

yakman4

Reaction score
Update: Ya might want to avoid billkayparts.com, it's a WEEK later and no parts yet. Phoned them, they explain the pump actually costs $185, blah, blah, basically they didn't follow up w/ contact though they now claim they left a message :confused:... They also tell me they'll call right back but never do, typical internet sales dept deal, the part is actually coming from somewhere else and their cooperation is required. This morning I'll call some salvage yards about the harness and, if I find one, buy the $185 pump from the local Autozone.

Just to let anybody who is intrested the (Airtex E7181M) lift pump is available from Oreilly auto parts on special order 5 day lead time. I just picked up mine today.:D

Forgot to say $177.

raindog

Reaction score
I have some kind of fuel prime problem

I think my problem may be related to the topic of this thread. When My 06 KJ CRD has been sitting for more than a few hours it will start normally but dies(dunno) as soon as the fuel in the line from the filter is used. I then have to prime it manually with the pump on the filter housing. After it starts it runs fine. I've checked the fittings and lines and there is no evidence of any kind of leak. I'm thinking I may need a new filter or the pump at the fuel tank is going out. Thoughts?

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy raindog - welcome to KJ Country
If you haven't changed the filter - that's always a good 1st step - it can clog in one tank of bad fuel - but primeing doesn't normally fix that.
the standard air leak is the heater plug on the fuel head - if you pull it out it will probably have diesel on it - it's not supposed to - the diesel is supposed to stay on the inside - and air molecules are much smaller than diesel so they leak in easier.
next place for a leak is the connector at the tank - they're made for pressure not vacuum.
so check the heater plug - if you see fuel - order the new style head & connector- it comes with a filter, if not try a filter change.
also - you said pump at the tank - unless you added it - there's not one stock - it's a vacuum system
if you want to add one - a cummins will fit and ther wiring's there - but that's a different thread.

raindog

Reaction score
Thanks ATXJK, very detailed, I think I'll start with a new filter. THis problem happened on a trip to Arkansas and I did get fuel at a couple of sketchy places. Any trick to disconnecting the water sensor on the bottom of the filter? Do I need to bleed the filter of air after I put it on and can I use the priming pump and the bleeder valve to do that after the filter is on?

In case that doesn't work I'm not sure where the heater plug on the heater head is. Do you know of any place that has pdfs of the various systems?

Again thanks so much for your response.

Was your Photo taken in Moab?

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PDF's were on Sir Sam's website and it died - so I don't know anything current.

This was a pretty good writeup on changing a filter (the heater plug is on the right)
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35702&sid=b627befea4f27bd09fb78833ff20e6e4

The wire on the bottom is just a clip with a lock - you have to squeeze to unlock
the filters are normally really tight - it's easiest to pop it loose with a strap wrench while the head is still bolted down - then you can unbolt it to move it around

and this was the new/old head photo
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=381161&sid=9cc3e2ff223b24a3307995cecd33c504#381161

Yes - Moab LOST 07

Last edited:

raindog

Reaction score
Moab

I've done a little 4 wheeling in the Moab area. Mostly to get to mountain biking spots. Love that area. Bought a filter and will replace it this weekend. Will post the results. Thanks again for the links and insights.

raindog

Reaction score
No Idea, the one from the dealership was priced reasonably and the guy even gave me a discount on account that the first one was a piece of dog doo. Plus it comes with a filter.