Steering rack replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novarene

Reaction score
I need the writeup for replacing a steering rack on my 02. I was wondering if anyone has the writeup from the guys in Moab I think it was that replaced it on the trail in half the time.

Please if someone has the writeup, could you put it on here?
I really really need it asap.

Thanks so much

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I need the writeup for replacing a steering rack on my 02. I was wondering if anyone has the writeup from the guys in Moab I think it was that replaced it on the trail in half the time.

Please if someone has the writeup, could you put it on here?
I really really need it asap.

Thanks so much

tjkj2002 did the swap out in Moab, writeup was over on LOST I know not sure here

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but I've been rather busy.I found my rightup here on this forum also.

This what I did......

1)Jack vehicle up,place the front on jack stands
2)Remove front wheels
3)Remove outer tie rod ends from knuckles and inner tie rod ends
4)Remove front skid(if you have one)
5)Unbolt pass side front diff mount,you will not be able to remove the farthest forward bolt without removing the LCA,and let hang
6)Unbolt the middle(in front of the diff cover) diff mount,again one bolt will not be removeable with the LCA on,and let hang
7)Remove oil filter
8)Remove serp belt
9)remove pressure/return lines on the rack
10)remove lower pressure line from bottom of PS pump
11)Discontect steering shaft(lock the steering wheel first,or you will damage the clockspring,use ratchet straps or bungi cords)
12)remove 2 bolts holding rack to cradle
13)move rack all the way to drivers side to lower pass end
14)move rack all the way to the pass side and start feeding up torwards upper raditor hose
15)with another persons aid,slowly worm the rack up on the left side(pass)of the upper raditor hose until out,yep it comes up out of the engine bay
16)install is oppisite of removal

Now if you have a '02 KJ the pass side diff mount may not drop out of the way,this should be okay,just a little more work.With HD cooling if you remove the mechanical fan,electric fan,and shroud this should work for you also.Removing the electric fan/shroud may make this way alot easier.