Water Crossings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owner's manual recommends 21 inches as the max water depth for the KJ to cross.

The reason I'm asking about it is... we're leaving Friday for Colorado and some high altitude four wheeling in the Rockies. According to the ranger station up there, "all of the trails are finally open, but, the snow melt has increased the depth of some of the water crossings".

One popular trail we want to run is Imogene Pass (13,114 feet). It is reported to have one water crossing that is running about 31 inches deep right now. Hmmmm, I'm thinking that's a little too deep for a KJ???

Any inputs or opinions? What about water seepage around the doors and tail gate?

Kevin... looking at one of your signature pics over on LOST, you have some expertise in the area of KJ water crossings. Care to comment? It looks like your driver's side was in maybe about 26 inches or so of water???

You must be registered for see images

Thanks for the inputs.... :)

.................................................................................

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks that way, but in truth it wasn't that deep. Here's a larger version of that picture:
You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see more easily in this one the bow wave coming off the front of my Jeep is probably a good eight inches - the depth there was probably more like 15-18" or so (about mid-hubcap high). Didn't have any problems with water leaking in since we were in motion, but we pulled everything that might have gotten wet off the floor just to be safe. There are some threads over on LOST (and I think here too) about extending the breathers, and I don't think I would go any deeper than this without doing that; 31" of water would be almost up to the intake for the airbox and I would definitely want a snorkel for that much water :eek: Only problem I had was getting some water inside the Hellas (which you can just make out if you look close at this picture). I did get compliments from all the TJ drivers we were with on making the crossing :p

Let's hear what everyone else thinks...

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The 31 inch line on my KJ is right about at the middle of the fog lights, and covers the tops of my tires. And, that's sitting still without pushing a bow wake out in front of me.

Thanks for your comment....

Last edited:

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea there are diff breathers that sit lower than the intake breather which could easily ingest water. There is a thread at LOST that also shows how to change the breather location for your diff. Or was that in the HOW TO section here at JEEPKJ? Not sure but I remember seeing something some time ago about it.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's worse than the diffs getting wet is the transmission breather (Auto) sucking in water. This is sure death for a slushbox. The axle diff vents should be elevated via a hose, but still could use extending.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about extending all my breathers. The ****** breather is basically right on top of it so I wouldnt get over the bumper for sure.

If you extend all your breathers and take it easy 31" wouldnt be a problem. If you get to much speed and make a nice wave over the front then it could get to the intake. Depending on how long you are in the water will determine if the inside gets wet or not. If you are just in there for a min or two they should stay dry.

I personally wouldnt go through that much water. Its just not worth it to me.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, please excuse my ignorance but what is all this talk about Differential and ****** "breathers"? I thought these were sealed systems? I'm kinda bummed out now....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, please excuse my ignorance but what is all this talk about Differential and ****** "breathers"? I thought these were sealed systems? I'm kinda bummed out now....
The engine,******,transfer case,and F/R axles all have breathers.When at operating temps the heat causes the air inside (and fluid) to expand,well that expanding air has to go somewhere,if not for breathers it would push out through the seals,very bad.There is usually a hose on the breather that extends upwards on the vehicle,you can increase the hose length to prevent water contamination,it works but for only awhile then drastic measures need to be taken to truely "deep water forde" and cost a little $$$$$.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a DIY hose extender kit or anything that I can install in these areas? If not, guess I'll just have to get a lift kit....

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with a lift kit (you can only go 2.5 inches) you still have to extend the breathers. And if you're really serious about high water - add a snorkel....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with a lift kit (you can only go 2.5 inches) you still have to extend the breathers. And if you're really serious about high water - add a snorkel....
You need way more than a snorkel,I've delt with deepwater fording kits for 4 years(and used them,can be fun fording 60" of water,salt water ***** though),very complicated and would not be cheap to fab/put on.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need way more than a snorkel,I've delt with deepwater fording kits for 4 years(and used them,can be fun fording 60" of water,salt water ***** though),very complicated and would not be cheap to fab/put on.
You said, "60 inches", like in "5 feet" and in a KJ??? That's not called deep water fording... that's playing submarine!!! I gotta see that, whatever vehicle you were in. Wow1.gif

pics2.gif pics2.gif pics2.gif or it didn't happen....

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said, "60 inches", like in "5 feet" and in a KJ??? That's not called deep water fording... that's playing submarine!!! I gotta see that, whatever vehicle you were in. Wow1.gif

pics2.gif pics2.gif pics2.gif or it didn't happen....
No it was not in a KJ,it was in a USMC M998 HMMWV out fitted with the deepwater fording kit.I have no personal pics but found some on the web,
This is a HMMWV with the deepwater fording kit,notice the extended intake and exhaust stacks.

The next pic is shallow fording in a HMMWV,just remember the tires are 37" tall.

This next pic it's hard to tell but that is a HMMWV.

Here is the site it came from---
http://flashoffroad.com/features/Trivia/trivia.htm
Scroll down a little and you'll see it(read what the military stated for a fording test:eek: ).
I spend 4 years in the Marines as a wheeled mechanic and fixed HMMWV's all the time and tested the fording system many times.The only thing that sucked was that the canvas doors are not water tight,at 60" of water better hold your breath!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002... okay, you came up with some pictures, cool. Your original post was a tad misleading, but that's okay, your proved your point even if it was with a modified military vehicle. As for the last picture, it doesn't enlarge very well, but I doubt it's a HMMWV.

fouros... thanks for taking the time you took to research the information you provided.

So, to answer my original question... I think a 31 inch water crossing is a little too much for the KJ without extended breathers, a snorkel and other $$$ mods.

Thanks for all the inputs....

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got 70 mm of rain in a freak thunderstorm Tuesday night. Many streets were flooded and sewers backed up. Winds were 80 - 120kph. Visibility minimal. The lightning was so intense it was like being in a strobe light. I drove through the storm and a couple of feet of water without any vehicle issues. Although, it was a little intense.

HIKJ

Reaction score
water fording Iceland

If there is one country where they specialize in water fording, it must be Iceland. I have gone up to 23", but wouldn' t go further than that. No water will enter into the interior (your are not supposed to park your car there). Some further advice: it makes a lot of difference whether you are crossing still water or a wild river. With a strong current, you must be very careful, especially because you can not check before you go (you would be swept away by the current).
Finally, always enter very very slowly. Contrary to what some may be telling you (about needing a bow wave in front of your vehicle), go SLOW. That's what the Icelanders have tought me and they know!
Don't jump in as the stupid Jeep site is showing you.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2x to taking it slow. I live in South Texas where when it does rain it pours. I've seen people hydrolock cars by taking it too fast through a deep puddle. It's usually something low like a neon, but even the occasional truck which would have been fine if the driver had taken it easy on the gas.