front tow hooks on a 2004. M bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just scored some front tow hooks for my 2004. They didn't come with the old m-u bolt as described in the installation instructions. Do I need to take off the front bumper to install with the other type of fastener. This is what I have:
You must be registered for see images

Not the old type bolts obviously. What's the verdict? Thanks!!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those for the Liberty? Totally different setup to bolt down IMO.

they match right up its just the m-bolt fastener that is different. I do believe there are 2 different ways they came. These are supposedly off a 2005. Forgive me, but what is IMO?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO = In My Opinion

On Jparts.com it indicates 2002-2007 model year for the Tow hooks. I'm wondering if you can slide the bracket up into the opening and then the bolts self screw in. Can you buy a set of m-bolts from local hardware store?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO = In My Opinion

On Jparts.com it indicates 2002-2007 model year for the Tow hooks. I'm wondering if you can slide the bracket up into the opening and then the bolts self screw in. Can you buy a set of m-bolts from local hardware store?

I may just do that, but it may be a wild goose chase. Note that the 2 bolts come down from the top, not go up and I've known people to screw themselves, but not nuts and bolts. JUST KIDDING, i couldn't resist. basically that bracket needs to go inside the frame rail. I looked at it briefly last night and didn't really see a convenient access point to insert the bracket.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just do that, but it may be a wild goose chase. Note that the 2 bolts come down from the top, not go up and I've known people to screw themselves, but not nuts and bolts. JUST KIDDING, i couldn't resist. basically that bracket needs to go inside the frame rail. I looked at it briefly last night and didn't really see a convenient access point to insert the bracket.
To insert those brakets you need to remove the "crush cans" on the front of the unibody "frame rails",so yes you will most likely need to remove the front bumber(unless you can get the cruch cans off without taking the bumber off).

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To insert those brakets you need to remove the "crush cans" on the front of the unibody "frame rails",so yes you will most likely need to remove the front bumber(unless you can get the cruch cans off without taking the bumber off).
Like tjkj2002 said you have to take off the bumper and then the crush cans to install the hooks with those brackets. Taking the bumper off isn't that hard; remove the grill, some screws and drill out all the plastic rivets. The hard part is putting the bumper back on without a pop-rivet tool. I got a box of those plastic rivets at NAPA but I didn't have a gun with a big enough hole. I ended up pulling them all by hand with vise-grips. I broke off a bunch before I got the hang of it. I'm just glad there were more than twice as many as I needed in that box, ended up with just one left over.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not the easiest thing

Well, after reverse engineering the clips that hold the fender flare onto the front bumper cover I got one side of the front bumper cover off. After that I could just swing it out and get the other side's tow hook on too. Taking off the front bumper cover was by no means easy in my opinion. Now I need to get a rivet tool to replace the rivets I drilled out. Anyone have a suggestion on how to install the plastic rivets without the right tool? If not, I'm just going to go buy me one so it can be done right.

Long story short, I finally got enough guts up to take off the front bumper and now I have factory tow hooks!!!:) Looks real good too if I may add. Thanks for the info that helped me get this done. I may add though that even if you do have the easy "M" bolt that getting a torque wrench in there would be quite difficult. And in case you were wondering, I used this post to guide me through taking the bumper cover off:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620&highlight=how+to%3A+remove+front+bumper
kudos to Bennett for the very helpful information. A couple of those rivets that are explained just don't make sense until you actually do it.

Anyway, Thanks again everyone!!!!(band2)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online