Just bought a KJ!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just signed the paperwork on a 2004 limited KJ Im pretty excited. After reading up on the vehicle, and reading the threads here I'm feeling good about the purchase. I'm coming off of a 1997 f150 that was getting about 9 mpg... so the thought of high teens and almost 20 mpg is GREAT!

its under warranty up to 80 thousand miles because it was certified... I ran the vin number and all recalls are up to date.. what else do you guys recommend looking into?

I've seen some of you with the wrangler wheels and tires.. .do those bolt right on without a lift?

I like the renegade light bar.. where can i get a fair price on one?

Thanks for the info in advance

heres the lot photo
You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As far as the Rubicon wheels and tires,a lift is needed unless you can stand alot of rubbing,245/70 are the biggest you can fit on a KJ without lift,the Rubicons are 16x8 rims(1" wider than the KJ's) and run 245/75 MT/R's(30.5" tall).As for the Light bar I got mine from the dealer for $375,you can get cheaper on Ebay but most of the tiome they are incomplete for like $50 cheaper,not worth it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I also recommend a new lightbar. But by the way, it requires to drill holes in the roof. That's not comforting to some.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!! If your looking to get the light bar get it from the dealer. It might also be easier to get them to install it. Mopar warranties the items for 1 year or 12000 miles, whichever comes first. That is with dealer installation. If you are handy there are a couple threads on this board that show how to install the lightbar.

Welcome to the group!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
WELCOME.

Although generally the price of installation will be equal to the price of the part you are getting, try to bargain with the dealer (if they will) you will be safe with their warranty. Otherwise drilling on the roof is worse than dentist!!

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As far as the Rubicon wheels and tires,a lift is needed unless you can stand alot of rubbing,245/70 are the biggest you can fit on a KJ without lift,the Rubicons are 16x8 rims(1" wider than the KJ's) and run 245/75 MT/R's(30.5" tall).As for the Light bar I got mine from the dealer for $375,you can get cheaper on Ebay but most of the tiome they are incomplete for like $50 cheaper,not worth it.

So if i got a set of rubicon rims i could at least put wider tires on em?... or maybe just got to the black cheap rims...

I just came from a lifted vehicle and i'd like to get this to look aggressive and not lift

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed 245/70/16 with Rubicon rims...VERY aggressive look.......I'll try to get pics for you...there is a bit of rubbing (very little).....the handling on road is much better....same for dirt roads.....

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i took it to work today for its first long ride... when braking from higher speeds it pulses so im pretty sure the rotors are warped..... gonna make an apointment to get that back to the dealership.... do you guys recommend a certain rotor over another? I figure if its covered for oem maybe i can chip in and get the good stuff.

thanks

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im loving my KJ and figured this was the best place to post my questions about it....

.. i just read how to turn off the seatbelt ding... but is there a way to have the interior lights turn off with the rear hatch open. I dont mind the warning light but the interior lights is annoying. I'd like to be able to put the dog in the back and leave that open.

thanks,
Mike

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The rear window?

Just push the latch in for the window. It's the piece of black plastic that's about a 1/4 inch. This will fool the computer into thinking that it's closed. Remember to "open" it when you need to close the window! :)

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear window?

Just push the latch in for the window. It's the piece of black plastic that's about a 1/4 inch. This will fool the computer into thinking that it's closed. Remember to "open" it when you need to close the window! :)

haha...guess if i stopped and thought that through i coulda figured that out...

Thanks man!