Lift Kits... Need Advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got a little money saved up to put a lift on my KJ. I'm quite excited to get this done, and need some help.

I need a durable, inexpensive way to effectively lift my KJ about 2.5 inches. By inexpensive I mean under $300. I'm not looking for anything fancy like a suspension lift, but just something like spacers that will last and work for my needs.

I don't offroad often, and just want something to give my Jeep a more aggressive look. Any comments, suggestions, pictures, links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: After I posted this, I looked around some more. Anything from a 2.5 to 4 inch lift is what I want. 4 inches look pretty sexy on KJ's. So anything you got, let me know.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, let me start this one off, and it's not good news:disgust:

If you still have your original suspension, it is more than likely sacked. You will probably need all new coils and shocks. Measure from the center of your hub to the botom of your fender flare and let us know where you sit.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
DON'T waste your money on a spacer lift.
Do a search first and you will understand why I say this.
(Hint? Your coil springs are bagged out and have sagged and you will kill the shocks (which are done for by now anyway!)
Save your money until you can afford a new set of coil springs and shocks all around.
Spacer lifts are just ok in a new vehicle...

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, let me start this one off, and it's not good news:disgust:

If you still have your original suspension, it is more than likely sacked. You will probably need all new coils and shocks. Measure from the center of your hub to the botom of your fender flare and let us know where you sit.

From the Jeep logo on the wheel, to the fender: We are looking at 1ft., 9 inches. (21 inches).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If thats the case you already have some kind of lift on since you are two inches over new stock height

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If thats the case you already have some kind of lift on since you are two inches over new stock height

I'll have to measure again tomorrow, but thats what it gave me. And we bought it new...

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not going to pretend a 2.5" or so spacer lift is the BEST option, but I would like to say they aren't all a ticking time bomb either. I have about 25k miles on my 2.5" spacer lift (I think it was a Daystar) that was done by the dealership w/ new Mopar hardware back in 2006 before I bought it, and my Liberator is still sitting at a hub-to-fender height of about 21" all around. I have the ARB bumper on the front (got that Feb. of last year), I hauled a 400lb motorcycle directly on the hitch + 200lbs of gear all over Colorado in 2010, then pulled a trailer with said gear (total weight around 1000lbs) a dozen times last year, and the spacer lift has not failed me whatsoever. It hasn't been 'roaded nearly as much as I would like, the 20 or so trips I have done around Colorado have all been really a success. Is it ready for a 7+ (out of 10) trail? Perhaps not, but I have had nothing but good times on my current setup.

I would NOT recommend a spacer lift if you're replacing all the hardware (shock and springs) because a 'real' lift kit isn't going to cost you a heck of a lot more than the Mopar parts + spacer, but just wanted to put it out there that the spacer lift is surprisingly more resilient than some folks maybe give it credit for. Once my suspension needs some replacement OR I decide I need bigger tires, I plan to pony up for a complete lift kit, but if you have nearly new Mopar suspension components, the spacer lift may not be such a horrible option, especially for a rig that is 98% on-road and isn't hitting the hardest trails.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes, the key is "new" factory coil springs and shocks.
But now drive a KJ with OME coil springs and your choice of new shocks and you will be surprised as to how much better it performs and handles both on and off road compared to
factory fresh suspension.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME rocks, for both handling and "looks". Spacers by themselves are a bad idea- better to just drive stock until you can afford an upgrade that will last and get you some real performance.

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Rough Country 3" lift on mine (spacer in the front, new coils and shocks rear). But I agree, save up for a proper system. Sure it lifted the vehicle, but it cost me 3" of down travel in my front end. I get a very audible clunk when the front end drops out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2.5" - 3" is all you'll find for a "budget lift". Any higher and you'll have to make modifications to the drivretrain as well.