HOW TO: Add Under-Dash Courtesy Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This article should apply to all 02-04 KJs. I have no ideas if the 05s are even remotely similar.

The sport KJs dont have under-dash lights installed, like their more trimmed out bretherin. Adding these lights to your KJ is a pretty simple addition, that really makes a difference (at least in my estimation)

The parts you'll need for this project are available at your jeep dealer - probably not a stock item, so calling ahead is advised. You'll need to order 2 of part #56042559AA (Approx $10 ea).

courtesy_1.jpg

This is a view of the courtesy light as its installed under-dash.

As with any electrical project it's always a good idea to pull your ground prior. I didn't, but I probably should have.

The wiring for these lights is already in your vehicle, you just have to get at it, it's just kind of a pain in the side to get at. If your hands resemble vienna sausages, you'll probably want to find someone with thin fingers to help you =P~

You'll need to remove the lower panels on the driver and passenger side. You'll note a hole in the drivers side, and a recessed (really recessed) hole in the passenger side. This is where the lights will go.

On the drivers side, the connector is taped to the large harness, I'm pretty sure it was up on the steering column. It's taped there, so you'll have to cut the tape and bring the wire down. You can then attach the light to the dash, the screw is already there.

The passenger side is a bit more of a hassle .. the connector is taped to another group of wires that run behind the plastic on the lower part of the glove compartment. I found that pulling the glove compartment out (flipping it all the way forward) and reaching up from underneath, I was able to get the connector to a place where I could, from the top, cut the tape and free the connector. Once you've got the connector, it's as simple a proposition as the drivers side. Again, the screw is already there, so attach the light to wire, screw it in, you're done.

Updated instructions from tmwr1 on JU.....

You must be registered for see images

[tmwr1]
To get at the tape holding the plug and wire to the cable harness. I released the cable hold down fastener (red arrow in picture) by squeezing its fingers with pliers and pushing it back out of the way. Also, to get a tiny bit more space to work at the plug, I loosened the screw (green arrow) that's holding the dash.

Carefully pull up on the courtesy lamp wire to get at the tape and release the plug. Once you have it out, push the cable back down and snap the cable fastener back in place. Reach behind the bar with one finger to push that connector back- there's more space in that area to easily get a finger in there.
[/tmwr1]

Re-attach the panels, making sure that the lights line up properly (since they are secured by but one screw, there is a little play) and you should be good to go!

These lights mimic the overhead lights, i.e. they dim before shutting off, come on when door open, etc.

Enjoy!

-BP

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
here's one, now you think it would be possible to extend those wires, and instead of having under dash lights, make so that we all have an extra dome light...?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably. But I would just pull the power from the overhead lights I think. It's one of those diecy things, where you dont want to overload the BCM, it's kinda sensitive to these things.

There are others who are in process of doing this, I'm waiting to hear the ups/downs before even thinking about it. (Plus, if I busted up the BCM, the wife would likely beat me senseless [-X )

-BP

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
thats the thing tho, you wouldnt be drawing extra power, cuz instead of having the underdash lights, you would be using it for the extra dome light instead, wouldnt the power draw be the same? (if you use basically same wattage lights etc.)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One would think. Plus, I think theres some room for play in there... just being paranoid so that I cant be held accountable if someone messes up their rig.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to do is splice into this wiring (since I already have the under dash lights) and run the wiring out to the outside mirrors. Drill some small holes in the bottom of the mirror housings and wire in some lights (and seal them so they're weatherproof). These downwards facing lights would make for a neat "puddle lamp" since they'd go on when you hit the remote to unlock the doors and they'd have the whole "dimming" effect that goes along with the interior lights. Maybe some day I'll get brave enough to do it for now I'll let other's steal my idea and see what they think!

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underdash Lights

I am interested in the underdash light installation. On these existing wire couplings, are they just 2 wire couplings and what color are they? And do you have any pics available where the lights mount? I am confused at the mention of a hole where one light goes. One other question, how do those lower panels get removed? TIA. 8-[

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do about getting it updated with some pictures. Taking off the panels is relatively simple.. just a number of screws. I think most are torx, maybe a T10, not positive. I'll get some pictures, it's really very simple addition. Order up the lights, and I'll provide the details =P~

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
I'll see what I can do about getting it updated with some pictures. Taking off the panels is relatively simple.. just a number of screws. I think most are torx, maybe a T10, not positive. I'll get some pictures, it's really very simple addition. Order up the lights, and I'll provide the details =P~

I appreciate your efforts.

CoasterG

Reaction score
Did this addition this morning to my 2004 Liberty Sports and here are my additional comments:

The passenger side is a $@%$@$%, seriously. I'd advise removing the glovebox, which is easy to do. The plug on my 2004 was dead center in the compartment area, which is hardest place to reach with any fingers whatsoever - fat or not. I basically had to loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the front of the glove compartment tight (on the right side, right next to the hole where the light mounts) in order to get some extra space and pull the cable (which if I remember correctly is pink and yellow wires) a bit, slowly working it until I could get access to the plug. Once I could get a good tug on the plug it popped thru the tape and came out easily - it took about an hour to work it out however!

Driver's side is a snap, found it immediately and they just used a masking type tape to hold it up.

Screws are regular Philips heads to hold the panels and the light fixtures. I have some photos and I'll see if I can post them up with some notes as to where the passenger side plug is located.

BTW, its a BIG change at night to see the footwell - I don't know what Jeep was thinking by removing these from the Sport when they are such standard equipment on any car/suv.

George

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Will be here soon

I have just ordered both lights for the front "floor" light area. They are on their way. I hope to have them by this weekend and have them installed during the supposed nice weather. Will keep you guys updated!http://home.ptd.net/~rgardeck

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Lights

Dirtnapper said:
BluPhant, any pics yet..thinking of trying this one also. Thanks.

Which part would u like pictures of? I can take them, but I'm not sure how much value they'll be.

Let me know-

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CoasterG said:
Did this addition this morning to my 2004 Liberty Sports and here are my additional comments:
BTW, its a BIG change at night to see the footwell - I don't know what Jeep was thinking by removing these from the Sport when they are such standard equipment on any car/suv.

George-

Glad you were able to get this done! Yeah, getting the connectors can be a pain in the side, but it's a one time thing, then you never have to think about it again. I'm with you on the additional light... I did it kuz I thought it would be a cool/cheap addon, and it turned out to have real value. The lack of light in the jeep is one of, in my estimation, the design flaws in this vehicle. I'm anxiously waiting for someone to come up with a good answer to back-seat lighting (have you ever tried to change a baby on the back seat, in the dark? Lemme tell you, it's hard to figure whats clean and whats, well, dirty. )

-Blu

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
BluPhant, you may want to check out this link http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.4
It talks bout installing a light underneath the seat, so i dont know how much light it will give off for changing a diaper, but you may want to give it a try.

I am looking for some pics of the actual receiving end that is taped up inside the dash. I dont really know what i am looking for and i cant find instructions anywhere or pic of the part.

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
Well, thought I would take another look today for the wires. I started on the passenger side. Dropped the glove box out...took a look with a mirror and light...right there in the channel for the hinges was the plug...with about 3 inches of play. Since I did not buy the lights yet, is there enough wire with them to reach this plug, or am I still going to need to release the plug some more?
Also, I am having no luck at all finding the plug on the driver's side. Does anyone know how to remove that small panel section below the steering wheel? It looks like it would be very esay to see and work with the wires if that was possible. Thanks.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirtnapper said:
Well, thought I would take another look today for the wires. I started on the passenger side. Dropped the glove box out...took a look with a mirror and light...right there in the channel for the hinges was the plug...with about 3 inches of play. Since I did not buy the lights yet, is there enough wire with them to reach this plug, or am I still going to need to release the plug some more?
Also, I am having no luck at all finding the plug on the driver's side. Does anyone know how to remove that small panel section below the steering wheel? It looks like it would be very esay to see and work with the wires if that was possible. Thanks.

The wires both have just enough play. The wire on the pass side is taped, so once you un-tape it from the other bundle of wires, you'll have some more room to move around. In order to find the one on the drivers side, you'll need to remove the panel. Three phillips head screws, horizontally on the front. Unscrew these, put them in your cupholder for safe keeping, and gently pull the panel out horizontally. There are two plastic male/female things in back that hold the back up, so just move slowly and it'll be fine. Once you're up in there, just look @ big bunches of wires and you'll eventually see the connector. I'd recommend getting the lights first so you dont have to tear apart the jeep twice.

Best of luck-

-Blu

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
I can get the bottom panel down on the drivers side and look up somewhat...but, I am not able to see the connector. I was thinking about the front panel just below the steering wheel - if I could get that off, looks like everything would be pretty much accessible. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images

Stainz05

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of courtesy light fixtures for my '05 Liberty Sport Thursday - and picked them up yesterday (Friday) - one day! I took the driver's side panel off and found it's wire after some looking - at the lower harness and held by a piece of tape, which I cut. The passenger's side is a bit more of a problem... I can't find my little 'inspection' mirror... may have to brave the "I told you that was a girley-car!" from my wife and borrow her compact for a small mirror. I am 'volumetrically challenged', so getting my large size under the dash is a trick best performed without an audience. I must wear reading glasses... something should always be over your eyes when you are cutting something just above them... ugh! And... if you have metric nutdrivers, a 7mm fits the two screws holding each of the lower panels at the front better than a Phillips head screwdriver... and probably that screw that will secure the light fixture, too. One other caveat...the back, or firewall side, of the panels have posts that pop through yellow grommets, too. I found that if you put two fingers on the yellow grommet and tug on the panel, they will separate properly.

The temps in the 60's now - and a bit of sun @ ~8AM now -supposed deluge later, so I am off to 'finish' the installation. Thank you very much for the head'sup on this!

Stainz05 (First post!)