Getting the fan separated from clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsevey

Reaction score
Changing water pump and can't get fan and clutch apart... heeellllppp...

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tell us where you are at. Do you have something to hold the pulley?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple hillbilly tricks.

1. Use a "Visegrip" chain tool(these are handy for soooo many things) clamped around pulley to hold it while loosening fan threads.

2. If proper fan tools aren't available, set a long, heavy punch on edge of one of the nut shoulders and strike sharply with a hammer. This will often break the tension without doin anything but superficial scarring. Not ideal, but it'll work in a bind.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a bolt of a size that will fit through the hole in the pulley and long enough to hit one of the fins on the water pump. Use a good size crescent wrench to get some leverage on the clutch nut and give it a good pop.

When installing the clutch on the new water pump put some anti-seize on the threads to make life easier the next time you have to take off the clutch and fan.

Bob

tsevey

Reaction score
Thank you Bob's... I took it off the jeep and that was my major problem... nothing to get leverage with... took a bit but job is finished .. changing struts next... wee haw...

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other Bob, that's a new one. Don't remember ever changing a 3.7 pump but don't recall ever seeing a hole in a pulley on anything else. Is this a jeep specific eccentricity?

Bob II

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at it from the front, you'll see holes in the fan part.
either:
1. stick bolts long enough that it will catch onto the water pump
2. use a proper fan tool
3. use a wire hanger through the hole
4. DIY a tool

I'm sure there are a few other ways to skin the cat.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other Bob, that's a new one. Don't remember ever changing a 3.7 pump but don't recall ever seeing a hole in a pulley on anything else. Is this a jeep specific eccentricity?

Bob II

Yes, there's a small, 3/8" hole in the pulley through which I put a 2" bolt. It catches one of the fins on the water pump housing enabling you to put some leverage on the clutch nut on the nose of the pulley.

I've only had to use that trick once - after putting the anti-seize on the pulley threads a slight tap with a crescent wrench loosens the nut :waytogo:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, if you have a clutch fan you probably have the shroud too.
If you haven't notched your shroud yet so you can remove it without removing the shroud, it's highly recommended.