painting wheels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about painting my factory alloy wheels untill I get a little extra cash to get some new wheels. What would be the best method/paint to use. I want to do them in black.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about painting my factory alloy wheels untill I get a little extra cash to get some new wheels. What would be the best method/paint to use. I want to do them in black.

Plasti dip works great. And you can peel it off if you dont like it. Thats what alot of people use including myself. You could always use regular spray paint too but the plasti dip is so easy to spray on, dont have to worry about even coats.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used rust-oleum wheel paint from Autozone. Came out fantastic. been going about 3 years with them now (Painted October '09, still look great!).

Make sure you give the wheels a thorough sanding and cleaning before you spray!!!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted two set of rims. One steel the other were cast aluminum.
I sanded them.
Sprayed carb. cleaner on them to get rid of any oil.
Then spray painted them with Rust-oleum.
I didn't spend much prep time on them and the paint is holding up great.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i was thinking plasidip, but i think im just going to wait till i finish the lift and then get some soft 8s.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm thinking about using plasti-dip for my brother in law's rims (WK). Do you have to sand the rims first?

Thanks guys!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the Plasti Dip hold up on the wheels while offroad etc?

I heard not to use them on the wheels as they will come off the first time you go offroad and in the mud(no first hand experience though just read online with others in the JK forums etc). I orginally wanted to use that method over spray painting but didn't want to waste my time if that was the case.

overdalimit

Reaction score
FWIW I did a set of al rims that were pretty crusty on a pontiac. I used those 3M roloc surface conditioning discs (look like scotchbrite) on a 3 inch angle grinder and then sprayed with muriatic acid, rinsed with water, dried them off and epoxy primed and base coat clear coated them. Was a bit of a job but they turned out awsome! (wear a respirator and goggles when using the acid)