New shoes on a college budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this is one evening... Used Engine enamel flat black and high performance wheel coating clear coat on the wheels.. Krylon flat black for plastic and same clear on the centers.. masked off the Jeep logo... did three coats of paint and three coats of clear.. let me know what you think..

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

Put the KJ on stands:

Masked off the tires with painter tape and newspaper:

Sprayed away:

Competed the new look:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good but do you think it will last long without any sanding/primer?

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it should.. my brother has done it on other wheels and has lasted upwards of 3 years.. i don't think sanding or using primer is necessary because its paint on paint.. just a good clean with soap and water.. we'll see how it holds up..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few people did it, and they peeled off like skin after the first winter, and I know they sprayed it as well, but it could be a different type of spray, I don't know.
Otherwise, it looks great. I would have kept the centers grey, or just spray them with blingy stainless steel color. They will be like ghetto cragars. :)

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Did this is one evening... Used Engine enamel flat black and high performance wheel coating clear coat on the wheels.. Krylon flat black for plastic and same clear on the centers.. masked off the Jeep logo... did three coats of paint and three coats of clear.. let me know what you think..

Before:

Put the KJ on stands:

Masked off the tires with painter tape and newspaper:

Sprayed away:

Competed the new look:

I like low cost,looks great,never thought of clear.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
almost three yrs later and still strong.. no peeling anywhere, just the normal nicks and scratches from rocks and debris that you'd get on any other painted wheel from the factory.. plan on just touching up or giving another coat after I lift and get new tires.. been a long time waiting on getting her lifted (waited til I needed tires) and I live 5 min from the office = not much driving