Thermostat replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered that mine is dripping so I wanted to know if there was any reason not to buy a new thermostat at NAPA? The jeep dealership is never open when I'm available and in that vacinity. I've always had good luck with their parts and my mechanic is a certified Napa care center so when he does the work I can't that's where the parts come from. Thanks Yall.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the OEM equivalent NAPA in a pinch. I've never had trouble with their stuff but if the tstat is still working you could just replace the "gasket". Cheap fix and give you time so you can order the OEM tstat online. I've heard you should avoid those failsafe versions and I've found the Stant brand is not what it used to be.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the OEM equivalent NAPA in a pinch. I've never had trouble with their stuff but if the tstat is still working you could just replace the "gasket". Cheap fix and give you time so you can order the OEM tstat online. I've heard you should avoid those failsafe versions and I've found the Stant brand is not what it used to be.

I heard stant has gone down hill also. Shame really considering the price isn't that bad so what the allure to make an inferior product to save 2 dollars. My dealership open till 2 today so gonna try to run by if able. if not I'll search online. Little drip isn't gonna hurt anything for a few days.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No point in just replacing the gasket if your doing that work to begin with, I would just go Mopar and know it will be good to go, Thermostat is cheap anyways, Super easy!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely use the OEM Mopar.
In the photo below you can see the brass air bleeder hole top center.
51263[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

These are a perfect fit and 195 degree.
Before you pull the old one out note the bleeder hole location. The new one goes back in the same.

Attachments

• JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it there before closing and purchased. Almost bought coolant too but at 28 a gallon I decided to just let them do a power flush, clean, and refill for 140 after I repair myself. She's over due anyway and the previous owner (my cousin) used some "good for all systems" stuff when it was low so it all needs replaced with the proper HOAT anyway.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also priced a replacement key fob and program since I don't have one and it was 140 also total which makes me wanna gag.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also priced a replacement key fob and program since I don't have one and it was 140 also total which makes me wanna gag.

Good choice on going Mopar for the thermostat, I can only imagine how much more expensive that would be up here in Canada, I don't feel like spending that kind of money to replace mine that stopped working.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check the plastic t-stat housing?
There might be a crack too.
I'll be replacing the housing too when I replace my t-stat.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but it was $30 and special order only and none returnable. Figure I can run to Napa for that if needed. Or would that be bad as well? It's just a piece of plastic right?

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd feel better about a Napa housing than I would on the thermostat. Not sure why though....

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the Tstat and housing at the same time. Both were original in my rig and had 160k on them. Original housing was fine but already had the replacement so the old one is now my spare. If you aren't in too much of a hurry for the parts these guys have good prices:

Repair Parts

There are many suppliers out there for Mopar OEM parts. This is just my favorite.

Oh, btw the "bleeder" valve goes at 12 O'clock. Just in case the one you are replacing isn't original or was installed wrong. The factory ones have a key in the Tstat and the "gasket" so you can't put them in wrong. The replacement Mopar I got did not have the key.

Good idea on the flush. Wrong coolant in there is very bad.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but it was $30 and special order only and none returnable. Figure I can run to Napa for that if needed. Or would that be bad as well? It's just a piece of plastic right?

yeah jst a piece of plastic.
I'm thinking NAPA or autozone. havn't bought a housing yet.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked it up. Napa has housing in stock for 14 but jeep is 30 and a special order. What say you guys? Wait for oem or no biggie on this part?

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I agree. No moving parts to fail like the thermostat. Just wanted to get your alls opinion first.

Latest posts

Members online