Metal noise kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtothekj

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2003 kj, and let me tell you it is one of my favorite picks I ever had thus far.

I like everything about it, how it drives, the height, the robustness, and sturdiness of the vehicle.

However, I've ran into one little problem with the vehicle, it is a weird grinding noise, that rattles like tin cans.

I've searched and searched before actually making a post.

My conclusion is that it isn't "angry sparrows" besides that, I've yet to see a video of someone elses kj demonstration the "angry sparrows" noise.

I've posted a video link at the bottom, in the description I describe when the noise occurs.

But if you missed the description it is
"There is this strange grinding/ rattling noise everytime I
1: start the car
2: accelerate from a stop, and the noise barely persists after the car starts to rise in MPH."

Not sure if it matters, I've changed the oil, the spark plugs, air filter, going to do a radiator flush soon, and I have enough to take the kj to a shop and change out the differential fluids. (I'm holding off on changing the diff fluids until I find out what this noise is.)

Grinding noise, Jeep kj 2003. - YouTube

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

newtothekj

Reaction score
Crawl under the Jeep and take a look at the CV boot on the front driveshaft on the end of the transfer case. I have a feeling that is your issue. The replacement part is between $60 and $70 dollars and it's a 1 hour or so job for one person. Very easy.

CV Joints & Shafts - JEEP FRONT DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT - Driveshaft Parts

That is the part that I got when I had to do mine. But that's what I would check first.

Ah ok, thanks for the information I'll start there.

Also would I be able to tell if it is the cv boot? Would I see anything out of the ordinary, anything of the sort to tell that it needs replacement?

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't watch the video here at work but just out of curiousity is the sound a metal chain jinlging sound? Recently I've been getting that sound on both driver and passenger side. I can only hear it when I'm near a curb so the sound echos back and I have to be going over 20mph. I'm not trying to thread jack but I was just curious if the sound here was the same sound.

newtothekj

Reaction score
I can't watch the video here at work but just out of curiousity is the sound a metal chain jinlging sound? Recently I've been getting that sound on both driver and passenger side. I can only hear it when I'm near a curb so the sound echos back and I have to be going over 20mph. I'm not trying to thread jack but I was just curious if the sound here was the same sound.

No no, it's fine I rather have everyone post in one post regardless if it is the same issue, and yes it almost sounds like metal chains\ or something metallic in a can.

If you're ever able to watch the vid, you'll hear my kj do it a few times from stop and go movements, but it never *usually* makes the noise past stop and go.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks for the information I'll start there.

Also would I be able to tell if it is the cv boot? Would I see anything out of the ordinary, anything of the sort to tell that it needs replacement?

I'm at work now. Give me 10-15 minutes and I'll get a picture of what you should look at.

Cheers! :cheers:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no, it's fine I rather have everyone post in one post regardless if it is the same issue, and yes it almost sounds like metal chains\ or something metallic in a can.

If you're ever able to watch the vid, you'll hear my kj do it a few times from stop and go movements, but it never *usually* makes the noise past stop and go.

I'll watch it tonight when I get home and see if it sounds similar to what I have going on.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here you go.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what you want to look at. You want to look at the black rubber boot on the end of the driveshaft and see if it is broken, cracked, torn, or just not there. It needs to be there and in good shape.

See the attachment.

Here's a video of what you should look at. Yes I just did this now at work with my phone. :)

0611131141_zps2be54d84.mp4 Video by dr4g1116 | Photobucket

Well the attachment uploaded really small for some reason, but where that orange arrow is pointing is where you want to look. That black part could be damaged, torn, not there, etc.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

newtothekj

Reaction score
Alright here you go.

Here's what you want to look at. You want to look at the black rubber boot on the end of the driveshaft and see if it is broken, cracked, torn, or just not there. It needs to be there and in good shape.

See the attachment.

Here's a video of what you should look at. Yes I just did this now at work with my phone. :)

0611131141_zps2be54d84.mp4 Video by dr4g1116 | Photobucket

Well the attachment uploaded really small for some reason, but where that orange arrow is pointing is where you want to look. That black part could be damaged, torn, not there, etc.

Oh wow, thats really helpful thank you for taking the time to help me out :friday:.

newtothekj

Reaction score
You got it! Let me know what you find. Take a picture of that end of the driveshaft if you need an extra eye to look at it.

I recorded instead of a picture, that way it would be much easier to observe

To me it seems like my rubber boot is still intact, and it still looks like the joint has a ton of grease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKXdj8_mVhk

^^^Vid

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recorded instead of a picture, that way it would be much easier to observe

To me it seems like my rubber boot is still intact, and it still looks like the joint has a ton of grease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKXdj8_mVhk

^^^Vid

Nope. Boot is broken. Shouldn't be able to see inside it like that. There's your problem. :) Replacement is easy. You need to unbolt both sides (the bolts you see on the joint) and pull the driveshaft out. It might require a little force (such as a prybar or mallet). I was able to pull one side out by hand but needed to use a prybar for the other side (I forget which side was which). When you pull it off, you need to pry off the top of joint and remove the boot. Again, I used a prybar and mallet for this. 1BADKJ helped me out with all of this so I don't remember it all entirely. I just remember how simple it all was.

Eventually you have to put the CV back together.

Since I was vague and can't remember everything off the top of my head, check out these threads:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/front-drive-shaft-cv-53447/

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/

PS - You can drive without the driveshaft in. Just, whatever you do, don't put it into 4WD!!!!!

Last edited:

newtothekj

Reaction score
Nope. Boot is broken. Shouldn't be able to see inside it like that. There's your problem. :) Replacement is easy. You need to unbolt both sides (the bolts you see on the joint) and pull the driveshaft out. It might require a little force (such as a prybar or mallet). I was able to pull one side out by hand but needed to use a prybar for the other side (I forget which side was which). When you pull it off, you need to pry off the top of joint and remove the boot. Again, I used a prybar and mallet for this. 1BADKJ helped me out with all of this so I don't remember it all entirely. I just remember how simple it all was.

Eventually you have to put the CV back together.

Since I was vague and can't remember everything off the top of my head, check out these threads:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/front-drive-shaft-cv-53447/

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-front-driveshaft-change-driveshaft-head-47161/

PS - You can drive without the driveshaft in. Just, whatever you do, don't put it into 4WD!!!!!

THANK you for the help, I will start with this then, see I thought it was fine and would have left it like that (further damaging the car ?) Thanks to the internet you learn a few things every now and then.

On a side note, the link you posted is the part I need right? Once I order I will either start this myself if I have the tools, or just have someone like a shop do it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK you for the help, I will start with this then, see I thought it was fine and would have left it like that (further damaging the car ?) Thanks to the internet you learn a few things every now and then.

On a side note, the link you posted is the part I need right? Once I order I will either start this myself if I have the tools, or just have someone like a shop do it.

Yep. It's the exact part you need. You can get snap ring pliers at any tools store for pretty cheap. That's the only tool that's slightly out of the ordinary that you'll need. Else you'll only need a prybar (I'm sure you can get away with a flathead screwdriver), hammer or mallet, and the right socket. I think that's it!!

95% sure that'll fix your issue. Best of luck!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sound more jingly than the video of yours. I think I have the same issue though. Going to check it later

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info here! I just noticed a little metallic "pinging" noise last night as I was climbing in 4-lo around a local favorite spot. Haven't noticed it before, so I'm going to be crawling under the Libby tomorrow after work. Thanks for the links!

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me when my '02 had under 20k mi. Went wheeling with a group in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. In 4-lo blasted into a clay-pit and spun around, doing donuts a couple of times. By the time I crawled out of the pit, I heard that noise....had to drive home like that (approx. 120mi.). It was under warranty, no charge!